• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Wednesday #86: Patch 0.5 Preview 3: Defences & Rituals

Jun 6, 2014
I'm not entirely sure what the utility of eclipse is.

Rest of the stuff seems boss, though. I love the amusing quips at the end of each thing.

toffeejay

Dryad
WFTO Founder
Dec 25, 2011
Any chance the Bombard could not be allowed to be placed on a tile next to an already existing one?

Just to avoid DKII style abuse of it.

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
I'm not entirely sure what the utility of eclipse is.

Rest of the stuff seems boss, though. I love the amusing quips at the end of each thing.
Only useful in multiplayer really. It'll allow you to perform sneak attacks / counter enemy scouting.
Any chance the Bombard could not be allowed to be placed on a tile next to an already existing one?

Just to avoid DKII style abuse of it.
Mana locking and it not be generally OP stat-wise will prevent this.

Ember Demon
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
Eclipse is quite late game so you should expect the enemy to have scouted quite a bit, the idea I think is to use it right before an ambush. I think though maybe it needs a bit extra, such as knocking out warding totems and perception shrines for a 30 seconds for example,

Jun 6, 2014
The part I am not understanding is how it helps an ambush. They don't have eyes somewhere, resetting their scouting data won't make any difference because without eyes they won't see you coming anyways. if they do have eyes, the scouting data won't be reset.

Am I misunderstanding how it will work?

theMarg0r

Witch Doctor
WFTO Backer
Dec 28, 2012
Under a killing Spoon
Wait, you mean to tell me the bombard won't REALLY fire piglets?

That Midas door, though. That's brilliant.

Wait, you mean to tell me there's (maybe) gonna be a transit system where units go into the ground at one end and come out the other?

Next you'll tell me there's neutral spiders roaming the map you can put in the slaughterpen to produce spiderlings, and that there's an Underlord that makes mechanical minions in the foundry.

Because then it'd be just like in that dream I had once.

Wait, you mean to tell me I've started multiple separate paragraphs in one post with the phrase "Wait, you mean to tell me"?

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
The part I am not understanding is how it helps an ambush. They don't have eyes somewhere, resetting their scouting data won't make any difference because without eyes they won't see you coming anyways. if they do have eyes, the scouting data won't be reset.

Am I misunderstanding how it will work?

Basically, anywhere the enemy doesn't currently have vision/line of sight, goes back to being black..totally black, as if they'd never been there. Including on the minimap. Currently if they go somewhere then leave that area it goes a kind of dark grey with a vision of what it last looked like, so you still have a bit of an idea unless it's changed. This hides everything totally.

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
Basically, anywhere the enemy doesn't currently have vision/line of sight, goes back to being black..totally black, as if they'd never been there. Including on the minimap. Currently if they go somewhere then leave that area it goes a kind of dark grey with a vision of what it last looked like, so you still have a bit of an idea unless it's changed. This hides everything totally.
Ah I was wondering just to d have fog of war, like everything we saw but not can no longer see would be shaded in grey and would look exactly as we last saw it.

But I will be honest a true fog of war would make seeing spells more vital so at least it ain't a one cast and then forget about it so that is nice.

I backed Parkitect by the way, curse you WTFO and linking many other awesome gaming projects, how am I meant to say no?!

what will the over charged bombard look like when firing? I will be a little disappointed if we do not get flaming micro piglets being flung at our enemies, oh and true story in middle ages setting pigs on fire was sometimes used in war, they burned very hot because of there fat which was great in destroying walls and there squeals could scare of other war animals.

Ember Demon
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
I like the look of Parkitect, but it's not enough to make me want to back it. It's not like Theme Park games are few and far between, there's a new RCT game coming out soon, which this looks a lot like, it just doesn't get me excited.

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
Eh. We've already seen most of the stuff for this preview in regular updates. I do like the Midas door, though.

As for Parkitect - imho this basically is RCT3 with "indie graphics". I see no particular reason why the market would need this (apart from the catastrophic P2W RCT title that has been released recently).

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
As for Parkitect - imho this basically is RCT3 with "indie graphics". I see no particular reason why the market would need this (apart from the catastrophic P2W RCT title that has been released recently).
How about for the simple reason that there are virtually no recent 'theme park' style games? The genre seems pretty much dead. I'd love to play another Theme Park Inc., and it's only going to be made if people actually try to make it.

Ember Demon
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
How about for the simple reason that there are virtually no recent 'theme park' style games? The genre seems pretty much dead. I'd love to play another Theme Park Inc., and it's only going to be made if people actually try to make it.
RollerCoaster Tycoon World is coming out Spring next year, and apparently micro-transaction-free

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
You are aware that a new RCT game is scheduled to come out in the near future, right?

I don't even want to smacktalk this Parkitect as I don't have the flicker of a doubt that the devs will put at least as much love into it as Subterranean Games does for War for the Overworld, but again, this project simply seems like an RTC clone with "indie graphics" to me.

Ember Demon
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
You are aware that a new RCT game is scheduled to come out in the near future, right?

I don't even want to smacktalk this Parkitect as I don't have the flicker of a doubt that the devs will put at least as much love into it as Subterranean Games does for War for the Overworld, but again, this project simply seems like an RTC clone with "indie graphics" to me.
Agreed, Parkitect has the potential to be great, but yeah, it just seems like a RCT clone, and RCT3 came out a lot more recently than DK2, and RCTW has been announced.

Jun 6, 2014
Then I am not mistaken in how it works.

It could just be that I don't tend to rely that much on outdated scouting information, and other players may be a bit more affected by having the what used to be there indications gone. For me, I scouted and I made a mental note of what what where last time I scouted, so if someone blanks my fog of war, I can still remember most of what was there, and blanking the fog of war doesn't do anything to change the fact that something might have been built in an area I haven't scouted in a while. Either way, until I scout again, I don't know about the changes.

Valtiel

Priestess
Aug 28, 2014
I think Eclipse would have been great in DK1, when you had permanent vision to everywhere you had scouted - an Eclipse would mean not only losing your scouting information but also that permanent vision, allowing an enemy to sneak up on you without being spotted. In a system with Fog of War, though, it seems somewhat lackluster - all it does is force your opponent to try and remember the map layout, because they shouldn't be relying on outdated scouting information anyway. The presence of Fog of War already does 90% of what Eclipse would be good for.

Compared to the costs of Assembly, Revelation, and Prospector, it looks massively overpriced for something that's only ever going to be a small inconvenience to your opponent. I like the idea, I just think it needs more work. Blinding Warding Totems would be a good start, or maybe drastically reducing your opponent's creatures' vision range.

EDIT: Griping aside, I like the other rituals and the new defences. Warding Totems are a must-have given true fog of war seems to be in play, and I can think of a few devious uses for the Outpost. I'd like it if portcullises looked a bit different when you had a cluster of them - there seems to be an awful lot of stonework there, and I'd prefer something a bit less chunky. That said, I imagine making them alter appearance based on whether they're connected to other portcullises would be a lot of extra work.

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
RollerCoaster Tycoon World is coming out Spring next year, and apparently micro-transaction-free
Yes. So that's one single theme park game.

RCT World, along with 'Theme Park Studio', makes up for all games in the genre that have been announced since Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 was released ten years ago that I know of. I don't want to drag the thread off-topic (any further), but my point hasn't changed.

Just saying.

Top Bottom