• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Wednesday #88: Patch Release: v0.5.0: "Dungeons for One"

Hoky

Cultist
Sep 26, 2013
I have looked upon those unit ability changes. For me it seemed that the skarg is stronger than the Bafu until now. From the notes it seems that it stays that way. The why is the skarg the "tier 1" unit and the Bafu "tier 2"?
Shouldn't there be more investment necessary for the stronger units? only curious ;)

Ember Demon
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
I have looked upon those unit ability changes. For me it seemed that the skarg is stronger than the Bafu until now. From the notes it seems that it stays that way. The why is the skarg the "tier 1" unit and the Bafu "tier 2"?
Shouldn't there be more investment necessary for the stronger units? only curious ;)
Well, the Skarg is the Tier 1 fighting-beast and the Shadow is the Tier 2 fighting-beast, whereas the Oculus is a tier 1 scouting beast, and the Bafu is the tier 2 scouting beast.

a Skarg is stronger than a Bafu, but the Skarg is a frontline unit and the Bafu is a support unit.

Nov 13, 2013
Nice, though I do have one question. Last I heard the mac build for 5.0 was broken, but this isn't mentioned in the news post or the "known issues" of the Patch page. Is the mac build being broken still a thing?

Also,
Well, the Skarg is the Tier 1 fighting-beast and the Shadow is the Tier 2 fighting-beast, whereas the Oculus is a tier 1 scouting beast, and the Bafu is the tier 2 scouting beast.

a Skarg is stronger than a Bafu, but the Skarg is a frontline unit and the Bafu is a support unit.
Personally, it seems to me that the bafu's roll is not clearly defined compared to the other beasts. The skarg is quite clearly a glass-cannon/shock trooper, the shadow is obviously an assassin unit, and the occulus is a top notch scout. But the Bafu is in this weird place where it is both a flying scout like the occulus while being a combat unit like the skarg, but being worse at both jobs then the more specialized units. The bafu just feels like it doesn't a good combat role other then "be a ranged beast" and it's ability to scout doesn't feels to useful since occulus fills that role excellently. Only situation I can think of where it's scout+fight ability is useful is when you have a map with chasms/lave that give bafus an attack direction only they(and a couple other units) can use.

Amon

Ember Demon
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
Warden
Bard (no abilities yet)
Sapper (non-worker version of the dwarf worker)
Thank you, Sim
Personally, it seems to me that the bafu's roll is not clearly defined compared to the other beasts. The skarg is quite clearly a glass-cannon/shock trooper, the shadow is obviously an assassin unit, and the occulus is a top notch scout. But the Bafu is in this weird place where it is both a flying scout like the occulus while being a combat unit like the skarg, but being worse at both jobs then the more specialized units. The bafu just feels like it doesn't a good combat role other then "be a ranged beast" and it's ability to scout doesn't feels to useful since occulus fills that role excellently. Only situation I can think of where it's scout+fight ability is useful is when you have a map with chasms/lave that give bafus an attack direction only they(and a couple other units) can use.
I think that the Bafu has one ability that makes it stand out - its Jailer ability. Unless it fell victim to the Ability Purge, the Jailer ability allowed a Bafu to drag people kicking and screaming back to your Prison... From what I understand it, anyway

Nov 13, 2013
Well, it might work already. I know what I did broke the Linux build, not had a chance to test OS X yet, but it was working before I did this.
I just tried starting up the game, and both the game and the hollow map loaded successfully :). I played through I didn't notice any gamebreaknig bugs.

Nov 13, 2013
I think that the Bafu has one ability that makes it stand out - its Jailer ability. Unless it fell victim to the Ability Purge, the Jailer ability allowed a Bafu to drag people kicking and screaming back to your Prison... From what I understand it, anyway
The jailor ability has been cut last I heard :(

lemon-rev

Templar
WFTO Founder
Dec 4, 2012
Has anyone at all noticed that the rally flag is missing ?.

Also after playing for a little bit after playing the second mission just to give it a go.

Two things i noticed more. Your little minion's wont go up to an ice trap at all unless you possess one and then smack some others around a large group of them afterwords because your trying to get them to do a simple task like destroy an enemy target.

Because you dont have the rally flag anymore its much harder to keep your minions in an area of attack.

And it also seems that if your doing things on muli-fronts ie a little digging up the top and down the bottem the little ones will one go for one and not the other.

If the rally flag is not going to be in the game then what will help us keep the mobs in an area if its not something like a rally flag ?.

Nov 13, 2013
Has anyone at all noticed that the rally flag is missing ?.
Hey lemon-rev, the rally flag is not missnig, it has just been moved from the spell tab to the unit grouping panel(right side of screen, under the row of unit groups). It is now divided into "all minions" and "beasts only" :)

lemon-rev

Templar
WFTO Founder
Dec 4, 2012
Why Even was it moved, Makes it much much harder to find and stupid to get.

I looked under the unit tab found a skull and something else under that on the left hand side tab before you saw all the units in your command.

As for if they are all or bests only, Seems kinda ok but i did not find it, And i had to manually deploy units, I hate where it is if its actually there.

Dang, If i get back into it before the longest patch ever again then ill see about locating it. but at this time i just dont care till i can find it again.

Top Bottom