• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Wednesday #97: Gameplay Updates

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
Great to see the WTFO updates are entering what I think of as "end game" with balancing the game-play to make it fun. I cannot wait to play through the campaign, when roughly is the release date for the game?

Nov 13, 2013
a highly requested technical feature.. mmm I think they mean the AI (skynet Underlords)!!
I doubt that, since the devs said in a recent update that they are delaying the skirmish AI to ensure that the campaign is done in time for release. I think they are releasing a save/load feature soon. See how "saving" is italicized at the end ;).

Evi

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Nov 14, 2011
Right, gotta ask.
Some time ago during the earlier bursts of life of WftO, there was some talks about some bonus for the 'Super Hipsters' that followed the game during its KeeperKlan days.

Is that still a thing?

Triscopic

Crackpot
WFTO Backer
Dec 11, 2012
United Kingdom (Great Britain)
Interesting. I'll be interested next week to hear about the wrath/sloth changes, particularly around the idea of constructs. It sounds like you'll be able to build constructs without any precursor room which concerns me since it sounds like they'll have an advantage over sloths defences. But I'll wait for more info.

Nov 13, 2013
So I am a huge fan of the unit spawning changes :). This is because they mean that creatures may actually become unhappy in your dungeon. I felt that one big problem with previous spawning system is that since creatures only arrived if all of their needs were met instead of just their work need, creature unhappiness just didn't happen. The only way creatures would get angry with you was if you deliberately angered them, sold your slaughter pen/lair after they arrived(which is just dumb), or had your slaughter pen/lair claimed by the enemy( in which case you would usually die before creature unhappiness was an issue). I also think this is great opportunity to differentiate creature personalities by changing the rate they grow unhappy from lack of sleep,food, or (hopefully soon to come) payday. So +1 to you devs :D

I'm really curious to know how we will go about building constructs. Perhaps imps will just "work" at the designated spot? I like the way your making the foundry more exclusively sloth, like how the beast den is exclusively wrath. Really makes the sins feel more neat and tidy :).

Hmm, I'm not completely sold on the idea of the starting veins but I'm not really against the idea. I think I'll wait until I can try the idea out before passing a verdict. ;)

Couple questions:
Will those empty spots near the top of the greed neutral vein ever be filled? Or were they removed to make the early game sin choices slightly less overwhelming?

I see that the ghoul ritual near the bottom, have you guys reworked it yet? Whatever it becomes, I'm sure it will be awesome :D

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
Hmmm, I wonder how this plays out in terms of game design. I mean, our old pal Overlord of course did have rushing in it, but from my memory it never was really meant for the 10-15 minute matches that modern RTS games try to use for the sake of "muh e-sports", but the recent changes keep making the game faster and faster. Kinda like Blizzard's proposed change for StarCraft where they basically doubled the number of starting workers, because "fuck the early game, we want action, action, action".

I do not know whether this decision is for better or worse, but I feel that many modern RTS games favor speed and micro-management (that is, mouse clicks per second) over macro-management (that is, actually having a deeper strategy). This is not to say that I believe WftO will go down the same drain (plainly because we can't directly control minions, amongst other reasons), but I think the Dungeon Management genre needs to balance on a fine line between fast-paced RTS and the somewhat slower simulation aspects.

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
Right, gotta ask.
Some time ago during the earlier bursts of life of WftO, there was some talks about some bonus for the 'Super Hipsters' that followed the game during its KeeperKlan days.

Is that still a thing?
At the moment no purely because the logistics of it aren't practical. I do want to try and do something, just not sure what yet.
Hmmm, I wonder how this plays out in terms of game design. I mean, our old pal Overlord of course did have rushing in it, but from my memory it never was really meant for the 10-15 minute matches that modern RTS games try to use for the sake of "muh e-sports", but the recent changes keep making the game faster and faster. Kinda like Blizzard's proposed change for StarCraft where they basically doubled the number of starting workers, because "fuck the early game, we want action, action, action".

I do not know whether this decision is for better or worse, but I feel that many modern RTS games favor speed and micro-management (that is, mouse clicks per second) over macro-management (that is, actually having a deeper strategy). This is not to say that I believe WftO will go down the same drain (plainly because we can't directly control minions, amongst other reasons), but I think the Dungeon Management genre needs to balance on a fine line between fast-paced RTS and the somewhat slower simulation aspects.
What this is actually doing is creating a more speed curve throughout. The early game is still going to be slower than the lategame, but the super-early game (the first few minutes) is no longer ultra slow.

Top Bottom