• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Wednesday #98: Saving & Loading

Nov 13, 2013
I don't like the trees... whether or not I dislike them enough to modify it.. we'll see... but I really don't like the idea of random underground trees... no matter how magically saturated the area is.
I agree, though not because I dislike the idea of trees underground. I just don't understand the exact correlation between mana and trees. If the appearance of the mana shrine can be justified lore wise in some I would be fine with it's appearance, but so far in the game there has been no correlation between magical energy and natural growth. The shrine atheistic just seems to me that it doesn't fit the shrines function.

I do however, like the shrines gameplay function :).

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
If the trees looked withered and evil/unhealthy would that make you happy? I suppose with so many undead minions that healthy trees might look out of place, but I admit I like he design of it on its own, I would imagine that would fit in well with an Empire themed mana shrines.

Really excited for the saving and loading feature, soon we will be able to make all kinds of sweet dungeons and share save files to others, extra awesome if we can spawn loads of enemies to attack it and see how the dungeon holds up!

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
No, because they're still apparently growing underground... and they're trees.. there's no light for them to absorb, no water.. no explanation for how the seeds got there.. and just... it doesn't sit right with me.
wizard did it.

Water does exist underground you know, and that mana shrine is giving off light, perhaps the seeds are planted as part of the ritual of using the mana shrine. who knows.

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
wizard did it.

Water does exist underground you know, and that mana shrine is giving off light, perhaps the seeds are planted as part of the ritual of using the mana shrine. who knows.
Lots of ifs and butts... and maybes.. It doesn't identify what the shrine does to me, it doesn't scream "mana shrine" when I look at it.. and that's my issue with it.. It looks like it should be a nature shrine.. or a hero gate to some kinda elven realm... not a mana shrine.. I mean just swapping the trees for pillars would make me happier.

Nov 13, 2013
It doesn't identify what the shrine does to me, it doesn't scream "mana shrine" when I look at it.. and that's my issue with it.. It looks like it should be a nature shrine.. or a hero gate to some kinda elven realm... not a mana shrine.. I mean just swapping the trees for pillars would make me happier.
This. I really would prefer if the shrine was more spiritual or elemental in appearance to really scream "Mana/Magic!" at me :)

Skorp

Gargoyle
Feb 1, 2014
I will be happy if the lore explains the trees, maybe they are some kind of magical underground plant or a part of a mystic forest that was shallowed by the earth, etc. It has the potencial to work.

Also the effects are awesome, is much more interesting than a simple "X mana bonus" that I was expecting.

Ember Demon
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
Also the effects are awesome, is much more interesting than a simple "X mana bonus" that I was expecting.
That's probably a side effect of the fact mana locking exists. if you got a mana boost, which allowed you to lock up more mana, what would happen if one of your mana shrines was taken?

By making it a 30% discount on spells, it doesn't need to concern itself with the mana locking mechanic.

mastersam911

Firebreather
Aug 18, 2013
Im with enjou I love the design of the shrine, probs my fav shrine design so far
Also view it as the tree/roots being empowered with mana that they are able to grow at such depths

Castigator

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Germany
What I find interesting is, that it uses the logic of exponential decay. The more mana shrines you have, the less mana your spells will cost, but you can never actually reduce your spells mana cost to zero.
Well, you could, if you have enough shrines on the map to reduce the cost of spells to a value so small, that the floating point variable cannot contain it and goes to 0.0 .
If I calculated correctly, it would take 1987 = 1986 + 1 shrines to get to zero, using the double type.
Which is 1986 to get near 2.3*10^(-308),which is the smallest positive value a double type can hold, and one additional shrine to get below that.
If I calculte how much space 1987 3x3 shrines will occupy on the map, I get 17883 tiles.
For sake of simplicity, these would fit onto a 256x256 map, but would occupy a significant chunk of its 65536 tiles.
I doubt, that any serious mapmaker would consider stuffing his map with almost 2000 mana shrines, but it would be interesting to see wheter or not the game itself can handle this mana-madness.
Before I forget, will you be able to save multiplayer games?

Last edited:

Ember Demon
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
you only need 13 shrines to get a 99% reduction and 20 to get a 99.9% reduction and 26 to get a 99.99% reduction, I wouldn't see the point in getting more shrines than that. no spell is going to cost more than 500 mana is it? at 500 mana, you'd only need a 99.9% discount for the mana value to round down to 0.

mastersam911

Firebreather
Aug 18, 2013
Surely 4 shrines is all you need as 30% add 30%=60% +30%=90% + the final shrine 30% =110% so
either everyones going crazy with lots of shrines or I'm missing something with the maths

Top Bottom