• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Wednesday #98: Saving & Loading

Castigator

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Germany
Surely 4 shrines is all you need as 30% add 30%=60% +30%=90% + the final shrine 30% =110% so
either everyones going crazy with lots of shrines or I'm missing something with the maths
The shrines scale multiplicateively, that means that every added shrine adds a discount factor of x0.7. Thus, if you own five mana shrines, you will get an effective mana cost of 0.7^(5) = 0.7 * 0.7 * 0.7 * 0.7 * 0.7 = 0.16807 times your actual cost.
And @AvatarIII , I meant, that the factor that is multiplied with your spell cost goes to 0.0 , so you have no cost regardless of how expensive the spell is. But you are right. You will hit effectively free spellcasting a lot earlier than that.
I thought mana was a double type. If it is an integer, you only have to reduce effective cost below 1 to get the spell for free.

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
And getting away from the whole.. mechanics of the shrine for a sec... and back to the design (why trees!?)

Work in progress obviously... The intention is that something will either be:
  • Floating over the hole, as if the raw magical energy has lifted it from the ground and is holding it there.
Or
  • Something has dug/grown/tunneled down to reach the mana trapped/stored below the earth.
Also there will be little wisps of energy and maybe some misty type stuff coming out of the ground too..
Anyone got any ideas for what could be above the hole?

mastersam911

Firebreather
Aug 18, 2013
And getting away from the whole.. mechanics of the shrine for a sec... and back to the design (why trees!?)

Work in progress obviously... The intention is that something will either be:
  • Floating over the hole, as if the raw magical energy has lifted it from the ground and is holding it there.
Or
  • Something has dug/grown/tunneled down to reach the mana trapped/stored below the earth.
Also there will be little wisps of energy and maybe some misty type stuff coming out of the ground too..
Anyone got any ideas for what could be above the hole?
what software are you using?
and Nutter a floating yin or yang (depending on who controls it)

Nov 10, 2013
Germany
I have no Problems with Mana trees, I know this kind of thing from my old Square games they are full of Mana trees, and mana Crystals and Mana Crystal Trees and stuff, damn the Game is Fantasy and it is a Magical thingy that for some reason looks like a tree, I don't know what the problem is. xD

Apr 2, 2014
Malaysia
I really like the idea if the Mana tree was actually a root, It just make more sense to me.

I don't care either way, if I want to make sense even better, it just a deep root crawling in the dungeon.

Marados

Matriarch
WFTO Founder
Dec 18, 2013
Germany
It doesn't identify what the shrine does to me, it doesn't scream "mana shrine" when I look at it.. and that's my issue with it.. It looks like it should be a nature shrine.. or a hero gate to some kinda elven realm... not a mana shrine
I agree with nutter.

While his picture made in Photoshop is not perfect yet I think it is definitely better (=easier to identify) than ... well ..... trees?

Greetings, Marados

Dec 29, 2012
It's tough. On one hand, I love how it looks. I think it's a great design. On the other hand... trees? I'd hate to see this design go. Maybe, it could stay mostly the same, but instead of being trees, it could be made out of some inorganic substance. That would get rid of the trees underground problem, and make it a bit more magical and mysterious(Why is all of this stone/crystal/obsidian/glass/etc growing like a plant around this area?) Maybe have a smaller version of Nutter's orb floating inside it?

Top Bottom