• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What are your Favourite Stealth Games?

Medjay

Shadow
Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Hey all,
Just a random thread on the topic of Stealth games. I was just curious to know what your favourite games of this genre were. I've recently started playing though Thief: Deadly Shadows again (I think the Thief series has got to be my all time favourite).

So what stealth games do you guys like? I'm thinking of purchasing a few new stealth games (Velvet Assassin, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic maybe), but if anyone has got any hot stealth games they like, it would be interesting to know about them.

Amon

Ember Demon
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
For me... Well, I'm crap at stealth, so I don't have an ironclad favorite, but if I had to pick one, I would have to go with the Thief series as well. I just hope that Eidos doesn't screw up the Thief reboot like they did with Tomb Raider. Or cancel it like they have done with two Legacy of Kain's

Medjay

Shadow
Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
To be perfectly honest, I don't really view the new Thief game as an actual Thief game in any way whatsoever. As far as I can see, it is a 'game' with the name 'Thief', not an actual Thief game. For a player who has not played any of the Thief games before, it might be quite fun. But for any fans of the Thief series, I find the game as it stands completely hopeless. :(

Hoping for a spiritual successor to turn up one day myself ;)

Feb 3, 2013
Innistrad
Mark of the Ninja. I've become an addict to its 2d ninja, killy, stealth, assassinationy charm since I grabbed it on a steam sale :D. It also has got suberb style and an enjoyable story line.

Theif series will always be the grandpappy of stealth games. (New one looks to be shaping up in an interesting direction)

Defiance- I bought this on the steam summer sale but havent played it yet (the voices tell me good things)

Might and Magic: Dark Messiah - hmmm. I have to say I dont remember a hell of alot of stealth in the campain, Must've been too busy kicking enemies (The main character's should be renamed Sir Kicksalot Deathboot!).

Amon

Ember Demon
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
To be perfectly honest, I don't really view the new Thief game as an actual Thief game in any way whatsoever. As far as I can see, it is a 'game' with the name 'Thief', not an actual Thief game. For a player who has not played any of the Thief games before, it might be quite fun. But for any fans of the Thief series, I find the game as it stands completely hopeless. :(

Hoping for a spiritual successor to turn up one day myself ;)
Not to mention the slight detail of them getting rid of Stephen Russell for some guy I have never heard of

Medjay

Shadow
Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Ah, yeah, I considered Mark of the Ninja a while back. But I think I decided it probably wasn't my kind of game being in 2D. That said, everyone who has played it seems really positive about the game, so I should probably give it another chance.

Feb 3, 2013
Innistrad
Ah, yeah, I considered Mark of the Ninja a while back. But I think I decided it probably wasn't my kind of game being in 2D. That said, everyone who has played it seems really positive about the game, so I should probably give it another chance.
I really enjoyed it, far more than I thought I would. sadly the sale for it is over, but keep an eye out they might do a midweek madness on it again. Also Monaco: Whats Yours is Mine, a top down indie stealth game is quite enjoyable with friends :).

Medjay

Shadow
Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Not to mention the slight detail of them getting rid of Stephen Russell for some guy I have never heard of
Yeah, I agree, that was annoying. That said, I must admit of all aspects of Thief that have been changed, the Stephen Russell bit didn't annoy me too much, since they did at least say that they tried him out. That said, I still think I would have preferred to have had him and this new voice actor really doesn't seem to quite capture the Garrett we all know and love :(.
For me I think it was primarily the existence of focus which drove me into despair. That and other things such as how you can only use rope arrows in pre-set places, the removal of the Keepers and other factions, the ability to take guards down from above...and so on...

I really enjoyed it, far more than I thought I would. sadly the sale for it is over, but keep an eye out they might do a midweek madness on it again. Also Monaco: Whats Yours is Mine, a top down indie stealth game is quite enjoyable with friends :).
I will be sure to keep an eye on it then, thanks. Haven't heard off Monaco: Whats Yours is Mine', I will give it a look. Thanks again.

Amon

Ember Demon
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
Yeah, I agree, that was annoying. That said, I must admit of all aspects of Thief that have been changed, the Stephen Russell bit didn't annoy me too much, since they did at least say that they tried him out. That said, I still think I would have preferred to have had him and this new voice actor really doesn't seem to quite capture the Garrett we all know and love :(.
For me I think it was primarily the existence of focus which drove me into despair. That and other things such as how you can only use rope arrows in present places, the removal of the Keepers and other factions, the ability to take guards down from above...and so on...
It isn't so much Thief as Ass-assin's Creed now... :(
What the hell, Eidos!

Tenchu is my favourite Ninja games and the one where there are really Ninjas like were in the past. Tenchu 2 I passed with all Grand Masters. :)

Another nice game that has stealth factor is I.G.I. Covert Strike, was very difficult to be invisible for the enemy. If You were You could get Secret Agent award. Multiplayer is astonishing, better IMO than in CS

Artaire

Bloodling
May 23, 2013
UK, Lancashire
Hmmm hard to pick, I find most had their ups and downs. Thief was great alongside Tenchu. But MGS had everything else aswell as the stealth so that has to be it for me.

RachniKiller

Gargoyle
Backer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm going with Hitman. Is it me or is just about any game that's not based on stealth fail at it, when they try to include it?

Feb 3, 2013
Innistrad
hmm if we are including games with stealth elements, I suppose Skyrim definitely gets a honourable mention. GREAT fun, but high level stealth characters can become really broken (though you never quite get tired of seeing an NPC character exclaiming "hmm must've been a rat" with several arrows sticking out of their face XD).
One of the very few games(probably only game) where you can create an assassin, necromancer hybrid (ninjamancer!).

Zets

Oculus
Jun 3, 2013
Nifelheim, Sweden
First of all, dont buy Velvet Assassin. It fails on all aspects of a stealth game - just terrible. Go for Dishonored instead, they atelast got some parts right.

In regards to Dark Messiah my impression was that the stealth was kinda tacked on. I encountered various scenarios where stealth gameplay simply wasnt an option. Some areas are not made with stealth in mind and they become more frequent in the later stages of the game. I could be wrong though since i haven't played it in a long time. It's still a great game and the stealth parts are satisfying.

Stealth Games are one of my favorite genres and i've played pretty much all there is. I have a couple of favorites but im having a hard time ranking them since they exceeds in different aspects. Anyway, here is some of my favorites:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Primary a horror game but uses stealth as your means for survival. A ''Lovecraftian'' storyline with alot of suspense and twists. You are never using weapons in the game either wich supprisingly adds to the stealth aspect greatly.

Metal Gear Solid 2
Simply a masterpiece. Intruiging storyline and groundbreaking stealth gameplay. Just crank that difficulty and get your stealth on. Beat the games once and you unlock extreme difficulty wich is truly masochistic.

Mark of The Ninja
If 2D games are your thing just watch one trailer and you'll understand why this game is great.

I have plenty more but i'll stop here :D

Top Bottom