1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What games are you nostalgic for?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Antking, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Antking

Antking Skarg

You know what kind of games I'm talking about. The kind that give you a warm feeling when you hear a soundbit or see an image from the game. The kind that you can instantly reconize the music, and where it plays. The kind that you reminisce on the many, many times you played it :)

Myself, I'm very nostalgic for the Heroes of Might & Magic series, with a special place in my heart for Heroes 4. My first heroes game was 4, which I played very often even though half the game features caused it to crash. I used the editor to construct maps that I could play without fear of crashing. To this day, I could tell anyone all the creatures in the towns and their uses. Sometimes, when I am very tired, I relax by listening to the heroes 4 grass theme on repeat.:rolleyes:

While I'm sure there is a particular game(*coughDKcough*) that many here have fond memories of, I was curious what other games people on the forums had a special place in their hearts for. What games are you nostalgic for? :D

2. mishko

mishko Matriarch Founder

For me its Starcraft 1 and C&C Red Alert.

rhasta likes this.
  3. AvatarIII

YES

Also Monkey Island

4. Peetfighter

Peetfighter Augre Founder

Dungeon Keeper, Total Annihilation and Commandos 2. I still frequently listen to the Commandos music tracks, they're so amazing.

ifurn0 likes this.
  5. mishko

mishko Matriarch Founder

love that game

6. werik

werik Disciple

This ^ and this;
    Also played Heroes of Might and Magic 1&2 and the RPG version of the series Might and Magic, mainly no 6 and 7, way too much. Civilization 2 and the original Colonization also triggers my nostalgia feelings.

7. Valhallaist

Valhallaist Warden

Doom, sonic the hedgehog 2, zool 2, mortal kombat 1, quake 1, prince of persia

8. Lord of Riva

Lord of Riva The Lord Founder

no love for the console classics?

Secret of mana, Terrranigma , Lufia ? Final fantasy 7 donkey kong country (2 in my case). a lot of the games mentioned give me a feeling of nostzalgia as well but atm im repairing my Snes stuff for my child to come :p

Tommonius likes this.
  9. werik

werik Disciple

Well the console classics felt more obvious. :)

Still dust off my NES from time to time and have game night with my girlfriend. Wonder if any of today's consoles still will work in 20+ years, my first PS3 broke after 2 years. :p

10. Fireeye

Fireeye Shadow Backer

Age of Empires 1. I still think I have most unit responses hard-wired into my brain.

Also, the original Super Smash Bros on the 64. Can't believe how much fun we've had with this. Falcon PAWWWWNCH!

11. Peetfighter

Peetfighter Augre Founder

Wololo!

Amon likes this.
  12. Fireeye

Fireeye Shadow Backer

AAAAAHHH! GET YOUR DIRTY HANDS OFF MY CENTURION!

Amon and Peetfighter like this.
  13. Zomgbie

Zomgbie Ghoul

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    WOLOLO
    Now roses are too!

Heroes of might and magic 3 was the one I played loads of as a kid.

ifurn0 and Peetfighter like this.
  14. rhasta

rhasta Warden

Star Control 2 and Fallout 2.

ifurn0 likes this.
  15. ifurn0

ifurn0 Dwarven Worker

bloodrayne 1
    farcry 1 (pc)
    red faction 1,2 (old school ones)
    who dares wins 2
    ELITE!!!
    fallout 2
    god of war 1
    carmageddion 2
    alien vs predator 2
    tomb raider 3
    pitfall (newer one)
    that dolphin side scroller game
    duke nukem 1, 2
    castlevania (all ecept 3d)
    redallert 2
    final fantasy 3, 7
    crono trigger
    free lancer
    age of mythology
    warrioland
    conquers bad fur day
    zelda chronicles of time
    decent
    warhammer dawn of war
    halflife 1
    sven

hmmmm so many tasty selections....that keep on springing to mind...

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  16. AvatarIII

As a case in point, I went to a concert last night and they opened to a remix of the Monkey Island theme music and I lost my mind!

17. Mozared

Mozared Juggernaut Founder

I'm having sort of a hard time defining 'nostalgia'. If we are simply talking about old games we used to like playing, I can write you a laundry list. There are some among them that I have specific memories about though, I guess, and these kind of stand out. Let me try and sort my experiences chronologically.

Age 2 through ~7: The oldest of these games would probably be The Incredible Machine. Being a kid, seeing all those objects interact with each other in various ways and figuring out which objects impacted others in what way learned me a great deal. After that, the game I best remember is Theme Park, in which I spend many hours fiddling with my Hokey's Cola and repairing that goddamn Snake Slide that kept breaking down. Before the ball really got rolling, I played WarCraft 2: Tides of Darkness for a good two years or so, absolutely loving how amazing the game was in the department of graphics, tactics and general atmosphere. Last for this period, there's Age of Empires. Though I didn't quite understand everything, I got the historical context and this game thought me the basics of RTS as well as really, the basics of history.

Age 7 through 11: When I got a little older, at first, both Dungeon Keeper and Theme Hospital came into the picture. I remember playing both these games gray as a kid and having fun with how you could set up everything the way you wanted and then watch the participants do their thing. Commandos is also a good title; I played the shit out of this together with my brother, the both of us making fun of the weird type of German the enemy forces in those games speak. Then there's Magic and Mayhem: though I have traditionally never liked RTS-style games without base building, I really loved the Roman/Greek and later medieval mythology angle of the game, and the design where you collected certain objects that would become different spells or units depending on whether you aligned them with chaos, neutral or order. Another game that specifically comes to mind is the isometric RPG called ''Nox'. I put countless of hours into this game exploring all the different cities and it pretty much ended up the first really immersive game I played. Half-Life I played at the end of this 'phase' in my life, and I have fond memories of completing the campaign in co-op with my then-best friend.

Age 11 through 20: The last three games I would say really make me feel nostalgic would be Stronghold, WarCraft 3, and World of WarCraft. The first of those I also played with my brother, and we had lots of fun going through the campaign and laughing about the silly accents and demeanors some of the characters had (NO ONE BEATSH THE PIG!). WarCraft 3, to a large extent, shaped my vision on RTS games, RPG's and immersion, and it is perhaps one of my favourite all-time games. I even went back to this game a couple of months ago to re-play through all of the campaigns. World of Warcaft is the most recent game, and for as much flak as the game gets and as much bad things it has brought me, I can still say I've enjoyed some tremendous times meeting some amazing people in it. I may be done with the game now, but I don't think I'll ever forget leveling as a hordie; doing Wailing Caverns for the first time, seeing alliance at the Crossroads, and lateron having good PvP times with my palls, and RP sessions in Silvermoon (before it became Cybermoon, before you people get the wrong ideas :p)

There's a huge list of honorable mentions that I feel I should name here as well: I also played a good deal of WarCraft: Orcs & Humans when I was very young, StarCraft is the game that originally really taught me English, Doom passed by, I had a Heroes of Might & Magic 3 phase, and at some points in time I really got into games like Escape from Monkey Island, Max Payne, Emperor: Battle for Dune, Thief and Grand Theft Auto. However, even though I played some of these games longer than some of the earlier mentioned ones (I'm sure I played far more Heroes 3 than Theme Hospital), they ended up having less of an influence on me as a person, and on the way I view games as a whole. Nevertheless, they all influenced me in some way; Max Payne, for example, got me into the Film Noir genre as a whole, while Thief made me really respect stealth games as a genre in itself.

All in all I suppose I can say it makes me feel kind of humbled when I realize how many important old-school games I've missed, even with my (in my eyes) impressive repertoire; people are still pointing out classics I've never played left and right.

Antking and Peetfighter like this.
  18. John Weibel

John Weibel Blood Imp