• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What I love [image heavy]

Kelfezond

Bafu
WFTO Backer
Feb 19, 2013
Hello ladies and gents!

Thought I'd share a little about my other love (my first being gaming obviously!) which is reptiles, mainly snakes.

I breed various species of snakes from home and do a lot of work with them so I'd like to introduce you to some of my friends!

This is Sahara she is a Pastel Genetic Stripe Royal Python she was one of my first "morphs" (A snake that looks different from the normal species)

This is Angel, a snake that I was fortunate enough to have rescued.

Jager, my little Leopard Gecko

Nigel (Thornberry ^^) my little vietnam black scorpion

Huginn my Hognose Snake

This is my favourite snake, Pandora the Boa Constrictor, she's 8ft long and she's adorable!

There are plenty more but I won't spam the forum too much with anymore :D

If anyone is interested we have a facebook page for our lovely beasties : www.facebook.com/KelfezondReptiles and we also do regular videos on snakes and reptiles at www.youtube.com/kelfezond

Hope you enjoyed looking at some of my guys!

Jan 7, 2012
The first one looks beautiful, do snakes link the names you give them to themselfes or am I comparing them too much with cats and dogs who like to kuddle, and be called by name and stuff?

Kelfezond

Bafu
WFTO Backer
Feb 19, 2013
No they don't recognize their names unfortunately they hear on a completely different spectrum to us so it's easiest to think of them as deaf to audio.

Turtles rock! :D

Kelfezond

Bafu
WFTO Backer
Feb 19, 2013
Aye that's true they don't have emotions exactly but they do have their own personalities - I've always said if I woke up one day to find all my snakes the same size and colour I'd still be able to name them within 30 mins of handling.

Kelfezond

Bafu
WFTO Backer
Feb 19, 2013
With any mildly poisonous snakes such as my hoggies or boiga's then you mostly just wait it out however the DWA boys like rattlers and cobras are ac different story first thing you do is call an ambulance - sometimes snakes do a dry bite with no venom but you still call anyway just in case, you then apply a note or sticker on your chest with the snakes scientific name so anyone treating you knows exactly what snake it is as cobra just won't cut it thete are tons of species with numerous ddifferent venom types the problem with common names such as banded cobra is that the banded cobra is also known as tge snouted cobra - you want to avoid confusion. Next you apply pressure to the wound but do not cut off circulation and you sit and calm yourself.

Unfortunately antivenom is extremely expensive - it also has a very short expiry date so most people do not keep their own. In the UK we have supplies in Liverpool and London tgat are immediately flown out upon your phone call to you.

There are there main types of venom, neurotoxin hemotoxin and cytotoxin. Neuro effects your muscles you normally die from your heart stopping. Hemotoxin effects your blood either clogging it or thinning it both are deadly. Cytotoxin in the words of my venom teacher "burns down your house steals your wife and takes your job" effectively the most painful one it contains necrosis which eats away at the bite area - often results in disfigurement or amputation.

Peetfighter

Augre
WFTO Founder
Jan 23, 2013
The Netherlands
www.youtube.com
With any mildly poisonous snakes such as my hoggies or boiga's then you mostly just wait it out however the DWA boys like rattlers and cobras are ac different story first thing you do is call an ambulance - sometimes snakes do a dry bite with no venom but you still call anyway just in case, you then apply a note or sticker on your chest with the snakes scientific name so anyone treating you knows exactly what snake it is as cobra just won't cut it thete are tons of species with numerous ddifferent venom types the problem with common names such as banded cobra is that the banded cobra is also known as tge snouted cobra - you want to avoid confusion. Next you apply pressure to the wound but do not cut off circulation and you sit and calm yourself.

Unfortunately antivenom is extremely expensive - it also has a very short expiry date so most people do not keep their own. In the UK we have supplies in Liverpool and London tgat are immediately flown out upon your phone call to you.

There are there main types of venom, neurotoxin hemotoxin and cytotoxin. Neuro effects your muscles you normally die from your heart stopping. Hemotoxin effects your blood either clogging it or thinning it both are deadly. Cytotoxin in the words of my venom teacher "burns down your house steals your wife and takes your job" effectively the most painful one it contains necrosis which eats away at the bite area - often results in disfigurement or amputation.
Ouch... :confused:

Kelfezond

Bafu
WFTO Backer
Feb 19, 2013
However that very rarely actually happens we are super careful as keepers - since the DWA licence was introduced I believe we have only had 1 fatal bite in the UK.

The equipment we use is all in place to protect us from simple hooks to use as extensions to our arms to venom defender gloves to resist against full on bites.

Kelfezond

Bafu
WFTO Backer
Feb 19, 2013
I'm really enjoying the scorpions we've only had ours about a month I'm terrified of spiders and hoping that I can work with the scorpions until I'm in a position to be less afraid of the spiders.

Top Bottom