• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What I love [image heavy]

Eek

Matriarch
WFTO Founder
Oct 22, 2012
Canterbury, Kent
www.leeketh.com
Sooooo cute!
Yup, I'd definately get salmonella/be bitten to death if I had one of them - wouldn't be able to resist hugging/kissing it :p

There is a lot of scare mongering over salmonella and reptile handling. 99.9% of which is grossly exaggerated. :-(
Humans have beneficial bacteria in our digestive system, we're designed to help them grow, and they help digest food. You can even buy bioyoghurts specifically to give more bacteria for this.

For turles, salmonella is the same. It helps their digestive system, once they come into contact with it, their bodies help it grow, and they try and get hold of it at every opportunity.
You can pay thousands to get one that *doesn't* have salmonella, but unless you keep it in a bubble, with only specific food and no access to fresh air and stuff, it's no guarantee it won't contract it somehow...

You only catch salmonella by it coming into contact with your mouth, but if you hug an animal or something it'll be all over your clothes... so unless you change clothes and have a shower every time you handle it, it's pretty likely you'll get salmonella in your mouth at some point.

Kelfezond

Bafu
WFTO Backer
Feb 19, 2013
Sooooo cute!
Yup, I'd definately get salmonella/be bitten to death if I had one of them - wouldn't be able to resist hugging/kissing it :p

Humans have beneficial bacteria in our digestive system, we're designed to help them grow, and they help digest food. You can even buy bioyoghurts specifically to give more bacteria for this.

For turles, salmonella is the same. It helps their digestive system, once they come into contact with it, their bodies help it grow, and they try and get hold of it at every opportunity.
You can pay thousands to get one that *doesn't* have salmonella, but unless you keep it in a bubble, with only specific food and no access to fresh air and stuff, it's no guarantee it won't contract it somehow...

You only catch salmonella by it coming into contact with your mouth, but if you hug an animal or something it'll be all over your clothes... so unless you change clothes and have a shower every time you handle it, it's pretty likely you'll get salmonella in your mouth at some point.
It's alot more common in aquatic creatures this is true the salmonella like you correctly say is inside the reptile the only way to come in contact with a human is through the animals waste and your mouth - this is only really an issue with animals that swim in their waste such as turtles.

sorudo

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Jan 3, 2013
building my dungeon
i had a normal pet, a cute but sometimes really annoying cat.
sadly i had to put him down, his kidneys started to fail on him.
he was 3 years old, the only thing about putting him down i found sad (how weird it may sound) is how much the vet milked me from my money. (they charged me for a pet weight 8X his size, just horrible)

Kelfezond

Bafu
WFTO Backer
Feb 19, 2013
I don't care if this isn't a reptile forum I'm SO freaking happy to have finally hatched this little one - four years in the making!!

Top Bottom