• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What if we created an open source clone of WFTO

Moreum

Skarg
Founder
Feb 6, 2013
New York, USA
Greetings dear community,

Now I know that this thread will probably be buried in the neverworld. However, I'm tired and want to share a dream I had. In this dream I was writing a thread that said "What if we created an open source clone of WFTO". Well, it sums it up pretty good I guess and these somewhat the words I was using. Anyways without further ado I would like to present an idea what if we got together and build something with the help of non-commercial software such as open source gaming engine and made the game free to play and open source so everybody can contribute to the code. I know this is far fetched and pretty hard to do but just imagine the "what if" scenario no need to actually build one hence this is just a thought provoking thread but if you do want to build it hypothetically would it be just like this game "War for the Overworld" or create something of a spin-off with the some dungeon keeper mechanics intact and something "borrowed" from WFTO. Write down your ideas here please and if you want to create something like this what software would we use and how would we build a team and how would developing such a project would be like?

P.S. I looked at a lot of gaming engine but recently found out that blender has gaming engine inside of it and that was something that peaked my interest a little bit.

Psycix

Dryad
Founder
Jan 9, 2013
Not the first one with this idea, and like many clones on keeperklan, none but WftO got off the ground.
Being commercial and not-free is exactly the reason that WftO worked out above all others. Thus, the odds that this will work are very small.

For a game engine you'd probably want to be looking at Unity or Unreal.
Otherwise perhaps Source (Alien Swarm and Dota 2 are good examples of RTS implementation in Source)

Moreum

Skarg
Founder
Feb 6, 2013
New York, USA
Notice I said hypothetical as I know that this is actually not feasible and it's just thought provoking scenario. I'm definitely not saying let's do this just something to dwell upon in our off topic thread here.

Peetfighter

Juggernaut
Founder
Jan 23, 2013
The Netherlands
www.youtube.com
What if we created an open source clone of WFTO
...we'd put Subterranean Games out of a job! :eek:
Not the first one with this idea, and like many clones on keeperklan, none but WftO got off the ground.
Being commercial and not-free is exactly the reason that WftO worked out above all others. Thus, the odds that this will work are very small.

For a game engine you'd probably want to be looking at Unity or Unreal.
Otherwise perhaps Source (Alien Swarm and Dota 2 are good examples of RTS implementation in Source)
That doesn't mean free games can't be successful. Look at Lambda Wars for example, it is an Alien swarm mod (Source engine) , completely free and chosen by the Steam community through Greenlight. Greenlight allows a concept to get attention and achieve success if enough people are impressed by the looks and idea of it.

Moreum

Skarg
Founder
Feb 6, 2013
New York, USA
...we'd put Subterranean Games out of a job! :eek:

That doesn't mean free games can't be successful. Look at Lambda Wars for example, it is an Alien swarm mod (Source engine) , completely free and chosen by the Steam community through Greenlight. Greenlight allows a concept to get attention and achieve success if enough people are impressed by the looks and idea of it.
So what you are saying that right public relations and correct marketing campaign it could be achieved. I mean look I honestly have somewhat a dream of making it a reality even though I accepted that this is not something that I want to dedicate myself fully because of fear of complete failure since everything I started never could be finished hence I surround myself with people who believe in my ideas and work that could keep me in check to complete whatever I set up to complete. Now with this said I don't really see that this could be a reality right now because of the promises of this wfto game that fills up the void in our hearts already and making it right now could just cripple this idea to be honest. However, if proper recruitment and a lot of support from community this could theoretically come off the ground and be developed much faster as being open source everybody would be able to contribute maybe just making github for this and getting all the open source free tools for this project. Just imagine building a game that would be changeable by many and controlled by pliable always changing quality assurance team and developers that constantly improve the game for the love of the game and not commercial purpose in order to cash out on a product. Now I understand that this is what subterranean games is all about however they have small inexperienced team that underwent many of changes but took a totally different approach to developing a game that is not open source and not moddable since you can't extract unity 5.0.1 and above assets yet which proves that hat wfto is a completely commercial bunny that hides behind cuteness while being a greedy money beast. Now I'm not implying anything and this is just my personal opinion. If however there are talented people who know many other talented people and could spread this hypothetical idea that might just peak their interest enough to invest initial time to develop some ground rules and prototype for structuring a project that would be able to be amenable at any point and not interfere with other workflow of development of the game. Let's just say that I'm trying first not to develop a game but a constitution that would be the core behind the success and longevity of this hypothetical project since we would need a lot people who would make tons of changes and not agrees with each other. Therefore, each change the would probably be needed to be voted out like sorta reddit so majority rules applies to each design and development code of the project aka this hypothetical wfto clone. Now I know I written a lot and pretty much a little not coherent hence that why I can't finish anything I think in bits of information that seem not to fit together but somehow I see them as coherent system actually fun fact in the military I worked at logistics and this ability to see things that might not look connected but are, made it quite a reputation of the best logistical NCO that held pretty high work position regardless of my rank I could do things that high ranking officers did.

Conclusion, well I really don't know I've written so much but hopefully somebody gets inspired by these confusing words.

Thank you for reading and stopping by.

Top Bottom