1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is your favourite defences and trap layout?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Gerrit8500, May 31, 2016.

1. Gerrit8500

Gerrit8500 Bloodling

I love situations in the game where you can form choke points and defend them, letting huge waves of enemies crash against your traps. What are your favourite trap layouts, and what are your favourite defences?

I'm very inexperienced with multiplayer where players probably use more cunning strategies to break through fortifications (like proper use of ember demons etc) so feel free to discern between SP and MP!

2. Biervampir [AUT]

Biervampir [AUT] Bafu

I play a lot MP, but I'm more used to play aggresively.
    But since the 1.4 I also play aggresibe with defenses, that means
    10 defense parts in my hand and boom, instant 3 Blade Lotus and 2 Bombards + 500mana with forge a 3th bombard.

If I want to defend a Shrine.
    Rampart with a Bombard on overdrive.
    1 BoneChiller, if there's a good place for a gargoyle then one of then there or a Well of Souls in a Rampart.
    Rest some Bombards or another BoneChiller.
    Most important, a Garrison.

3. Gerrit8500

Gerrit8500 Bloodling

I think that is indeed the point of the new update: mobile use of defences. I find blade lotus and and bombards very useful and versatile. I'm not so sure about gargoyles.

As for a more defensive position, I really like bonechillers as they make it harder for enemies to escape which means more prisoners (one of the most useful resources in the game :D )

Do you ever use the special ability of the blade lotus?

4. Biervampir [AUT]

Biervampir [AUT] Bafu

Only in the campaign, so far and for freaking the AI out :D

The Gorgoyle is since the 1.4 very powerfull. But I would place them 1 or 2 rows behind your blade lotus, because you/I want to place Bone Chillers or Well of Souls there, or Bombards as placeholders :].

But mostly I do not have to defend myselfe in MP, because I have a decent army at about 14 minutes.
    And I'm crappy at playing sloth

5. Gerrit8500

Gerrit8500 Bloodling

Classic zerg - I mean wrath - rusher :p

6. Biervampir [AUT]

Biervampir [AUT] Bafu

Is it s rush when I have an army of
    5-6 Chunders at lvl 4-6.
    4-5 Cultists at lvl 2-4
    2 Crackpots at lvl 1-2
    2 Beastmasters at lvl 3-4
    A bunch of beasts
    7-10 Ember Demons
    Ana a Behemoth?

For me that's a good army to attack. It has meat shild, tanks, anti defence units, debuff and healers and they all deal good damage. Further to 700-1200 mana to cast spells.
    That's just a good moment to attack, so why not?
    If I would like to Rush, I would do that with Gnarlings and beasts.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  7. Gerrit8500

Gerrit8500 Bloodling

What do you think of witch doctors? Are they a value (considering their costs) compared to cultists?

8. Biervampir [AUT]

Biervampir [AUT] Bafu

Witch Doctors are Healer and Supporter, Cultists are Healer and Debuffer.
    In my mind, a 3x3 or 5x3 Spirit Chamber is big enought, due to the Special Rule, you will allways get 2 Minions out of a single room-prop (If it hasn't changed in the 1.4. I haven't ask Simburgur ot the Coders, because they have enough stress with fixing bugs).

In my mind, if you have plenty of Gold and and many (hight leved) Melee Units and a low Minion Spawn Rate, I would increase my Spirit Chamber, because the Witch Doctor can ressurect minions.
    But at the beginning, try to get high leveled Cultists at first, and get some Melee Units.
    Never underrestimate Cultists! They are damn strong and usefull!

The best Melee Unit for now are (what I have tested so far)
    Augres
    Chunders
    Beast Masters with Beasts
    Gnarlings
    Succubus
    Beast master without Beasts

9. Gerrit8500

Gerrit8500 Bloodling

Yes I have found the same thing with the melee units. Chunders are surprisingly strong considering how easy it is to get them.

10. Biervampir [AUT]

Biervampir [AUT] Bafu

Indeed, but they do not deal much damage. So if you have a Chunder army, expect a really long fight.
    But all in all I really like the balancing of the minions :)

11. Roysten

Roysten Disciple

If possible I like to funnel the enemy to a couple of blade lotus's with bombards behind them. Depending on the space available I generally don't bother with gargoyles but with the rebalancing I may have to look again. When I'm expanding into a new area I generally like to place bombards over an area to disrupt enemy workers from claiming my tiles, bone chillers are also helpful here, though I don't expect this kind of arrangement to do much against actual enemy forces.

For battling I like to chuck my gnarlings in with most of my chunders and then the necromancers behind if they have enough ghouls to form a meat shield. I like to train augres to a fairly high level as they make great tanks. In a rush I'd rather not have to use them at level 1-2 as they're rarer than gnalings and chunders, but obviously you do what you have to do!

12. Gerrit8500

Gerrit8500 Bloodling

You should, I've tried them again and found them quite effective.

Roysten likes this.
  13. veribaka

veribaka Dwarven Worker

I like to hide a bonechiller inside rock, make a line of blade lotus and two lines of bombards, first line with rampart. *maybe* use a gargoyle or two if there's a straight and narrow path, but generally avoid using them as they are so inflexible in regards to aiming.