• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What? No Metal Thread?

May 24, 2013
Let's start this off the right way.

What are you currently listening to? Or some of your favorite bands. Post links to videos so we can easily check them out! And any Spotify links would be swell.

theMarg0r

Dryad
Backer
Dec 28, 2012
Under a killing Spoon
Hot damn, I just recently discovered Nekrogoblikon, and even though that's not generally my cup of tea, these guys are goddamn AMAZING. :D

I'm hardly the most original dude ever, nothing you haven't seen before, I believe. :p

Mozared

Juggernaut
Founder
Feb 17, 2013
I'm hardly the most original dude ever, nothing you haven't seen before, I believe. :p
Good general list nevertheless though. I fucking love Korpiklaani. You can literally add someone with a violin/accordion/flute/hurdy gury/bagpipes to any kind of metal or heavy rock and it'll suddenly be ten times more awesome. Case in point:

May 24, 2013

haha oh my damn. That is pretty epic.

Nice Marg0r, definitely some old favorites in there. I've never heard of Korpiklaani. I like when bands use random instruments with other genres. Makes it interesting.

Ha! Pirate metal!

Some of my favorites:
(click to watch on youtube)
Septic Flesh has an orchestra side project ( NOT METAL ) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-u0MBKmArg

bag pipes

when I was little cuddles, this was my jam (click to watch on youtube)

Arise – The Reckoning <-- Spotify link

Rezal

Templar
Backer
Jan 11, 2013
Well I think I should throw in some GaMetal

:p yay some GaMetal from Johnny Death,Well he was Johnny Death till some dosh copyrighted his name,0_0 happened a while back like in 2011 I think,anywhos

Crack the Skye is what I would call a perfect metal album. Lyrics about Tsarist Russia, astral travel, out of body experiences, and Stephen Hawking's theories on wormholes, all set to really great riffs.

As for what I'm currently listening to?
As I'm pretty new to Killswitch I'm sort of not sure what to make of the return of Leach. On one hand I quite enjoy the 2 albums he is on, but on the other Disarm the Descent's lyrics just feel more suited to Jones' voice. Nonetheless I still like the album.

ANewRoom

Gargoyle
Founder
One does not simply ignore The Human Equation when discussion the perfect metal album...
One did not ignore it, one was simply not aware of it... One is now aware of it.

Edit: Having just listened to it all the way through I will admit it was pretty awesome!

However, personally, I will maintain my stance that Crack the Skye is a better Metal album. But that is just my opinion, based upon my tastes as they are now. You are perfectly welcome to disagree :)

Mozared

Juggernaut
Founder
Feb 17, 2013
One did not ignore it, one was simply not aware of it... One is now aware of it.

Edit: Having just listened to it all the way through I will admit it was pretty awesome!

However, personally, I will maintain my stance that Crack the Skye is a better Metal album. But that is just my opinion, based upon my tastes as they are now. You are perfectly welcome to disagree :)
Well, I don't want to convert anyone, but I think you know relatively little about Ayreon and I wouldn't do him justice if I didn't explain something about him. The reason I consider the Human Equation 'perfect' is because of multiple reasons - not because it just sounds good. Ayreon is the 'stage name' of Arjen Lucassen, who is a Dutch artist that creates his albums by collecting singers and artists from various other metal and rock bands, letting them write their own pieces and lyrics and combining them into a completely unique and meaningful story. The guy isn't just a guitarist, artist, philosopher and writer, he's also a kick-ass producer who knows how to let the people who work with him do what they do best.

What you listened to up there is effectively a philosophy of life dressed up as an opera, written by the artists and singers of your favourite metal bands, all directed and orchestrated by one man. It literally sounds too good to be true, yet it actually is true. Regardless of preferences or opinion, I yet have to come across something demanding of similar respect.

ANewRoom

Gargoyle
Founder
Love it or hate it, you can't have a metal thread without a little Tool.

That is an accurate assumption, I can't make any claim I know everything there is to know about every band in every sub-genre of Metal.

Looking at the album credits for The Human Equation on wikipedia, I am awed that with so many people writing and playing an album, can produce something that fits together so well and sound so great. I've heard quite a few "super bands" who simply sound like a bunch of people playing for the sake of it, rather than with a creative vision. What you linked to is by no means one of them. :D

I guess how I really should have phrased my initial statement was that "Crack the Skye is my favourite metal album", rather than declaring it should be placed atop a pedestal. At the end of the day it is just 4 dudes writing lyrics and music about concepts they find interesting. and while that does make for themes that are kind of bizarre and overly strange (I mean the story is about a cripple's soul trapped in Rasputin's body, and trying to return to his body before it it too late) it is an album with a sound I really enjoy listening to.

However it has some really good stand out moments and while Oblivion has the best chorus on the album, it is the title song that really stands out to me. It fits quite well into the story, (I believe that is is here that the boys parents discover his lifeless body), and has a pretty sad backstory involving the drummer dealing with the death of his sister as a teenager. The line "Please tell Lucifer he can't have this one" is particularly heart wrenching.

But I can understand if you aren't a fan of it, one of my friends who also likes prog metal said he really doesn't care for the album. Which is perfectly fine, as I said before, liking something is personal.

If you have read this far I apologise for the wall of text, and hope I have made at least some sort of sense. I'm certainly going to give The Human Equation another listen just to try and understand how things in the story fit together from song to song.
The Mighty Fire god Ormagöden has made it so!
People may brand me a heretic, tell me I have no more metal cred, but I would be lying if I didn't say it. I prefer the Killswitch Engage cover over the original Holy Diver *Cowers as he kicked to death by metal fans*

Mozared

Juggernaut
Founder
Feb 17, 2013
Don't worry about walls of text or opinions - if you've read what I've typed so far then all I aimed at has been succesful anyway. I'll agree with you; respecting music can be very different from actually liking and listening to music. I myself haven't listened to Ayreon in a few months, for example. I haven't checked a lot of the other submissions in the thread yet, including your album, though I probably will later; I rarely go through these as they are posted and instead put them on at a moment when I feel like trying new music.

For now I'll just share this song. I started listening to the occasional MM a few months ago and he's actually kind of impressed me with some of his stuff - moreso than I would've expected before I really knew him.

Mozared

Juggernaut
Founder
Feb 17, 2013
Don't worry about walls of text or opinions - if you've read what I've typed so far then all I aimed at has been succesful anyway. I'll agree with you; respecting music can be very different from actually liking and listening to music. I myself haven't listened to Ayreon in a few months, for example. I haven't checked a lot of the other submissions in the thread yet, including your album, though I probably will later; I rarely go through these as they are posted and instead put them on at a moment when I feel like trying new music.

For now I'll just share this song. I started listening to the occasional MM a few months ago and he's actually kind of impressed me with some of his stuff - moreso than I would've expected before I really knew him.

Mozared

Juggernaut
Founder
Feb 17, 2013

Mozared

Juggernaut
Founder
Feb 17, 2013

Mozared

Juggernaut
Founder
Feb 17, 2013

Mozared

Juggernaut
Founder
Feb 17, 2013

Top Bottom