• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What would Peter Molyneux do?

Jan 17, 2013
France
I think the reason people haven't brought torches and pitchforks over here about the original release date of WFTO is that they haven't made games before so they aren't a tower that game journalists want to knock down yet.
I strongly disagree. Reputation is not the problem here. I backed both projects and I'm only mad about Godus. Why ? One word, just one word: communication.

Yes, both projects have something like 2 years of delay and both projects have undergone some heavy changes. That's fine. Mistakes are part of the creative process. Change during development is inevitable. Shit will happen. We (backers) know that, so we only ask to be involved in the development process, and that start by knowing what is happening.
The Godus team (including but not limited to PM) left us in the dark for long period of time (up to 6 months). Subterranean games did some updates every weeks. Guess which project is considered a failure by many (myself included) ?

One could say that communication is the hidden cost of crowdfunding.

Last edited:

Psycix

Dryad
Founder
Jan 9, 2013
I agree that communication is a factor, but I think Godus mainly failed because it's a mobile game presented as a PC game.
In the 90's this level of gameplay was acceptable, but today's games are things you actually play in fullscreen on a PC for many consecutive hours.
A modern game requires so much more depth and interesting mechanics that sitting around harvesting belief like it's a farmville reskin is downright disappointing.

Mar 16, 2015
WWPMD?

After one of my favorite webcasts did an episode the other week, I ended up putting a lot of thought into it. He'd shoot for the moon, knowing it's not going to happen but daring to dream anyway, then hate himself [and the project] when it comes up short and plops on London instead.

PM's problem isn't reputation, or ego. It's that he's a dreamer without oversight, very similar to Ken Kutaragi or [dare I say it] George Lucas: one of those guys who do their best work when they have a boss to keep their ambitions in check, because they'd never strike that balance between 'what I want to make' and 'what can be successful' when left to their own devices.

Ken did it with PS...for #1 he was up against company leadership hostile to the project, for #2 the company approved but he had a boss, and on #3 he had absolute free reign...and to paraphrase, his opinion on how difficult PS3 was to program for was "quit whining and learn how to be better programmers, who are you to stand in the way of my vision?".

George did it with Star Wars: #1 he had a boss...but as soon as he got free reign, that's when we got Jar-Jar Binks, Midichlorians, and love letters about sandy buttcracks.

PM's the same way. He won't compromise on his dreams for "silly" things like commercial viability, technological feasibility, or customer interest. He needs a boss to do those things for him.

What would it mean for WFTO? A 'Dungeon Ecosystem' so nuanced that we'll never know 3/4ths of what's going on under the scenes; to us it'd look like Cultists hate Chunders, but in truth there'd be this intricate relationship system where each creature has individual friends, racial biases, favorites [like a chunder that loves working on doors but hates working on traps], stat buffs when fighting alongside friends, stat decreases when a friend dies / quits / etc.

It'd also mean the game would state dreams as promises first, examine their feasibility later, and when taken to task for it PM would have a spectacularly destructive nervous breakdown, because he's worked himself so hard for so long that he's an emotional wreck.

Top Bottom