• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Notice the new look? We've updated to a new version of Xenforo, please read our latest post.

What you liked/disliked in Dungeon Keeper (1/2)

Filipse

Blood Imp
Dec 20, 2012
Sundsvall, Sweden
[Liked]:
1. (DK1) Capturing then Torturing and converting heroes, evolving that Thief you could get on the 5th level into a Knight (lord of the land), for the following 20 levels just instantly winning the game by rush-burrowing into the enemy's base using the lvl 10 possesed Lord of the Land to slaughter anything in its path, rival keepers and foe heroes alike for the next 20 levels and each rival-keeper map thereafter. ;)
2. (DK1) Temple Sacrifacing
3. (DK1) Watching creatures eat
4. (DK1) the Humor.
5. (DK1) The sounds of the attacks (loved the seeker-missile the demonspawns had)
6. (DK1) Bile-Demons, Dragons (design), Demonspawns
7. (DK1) Ingeneral creative creatures not seen anywhere else in other games.
8. (DK1) Preparing a hallway of doom, (a water-door across an entire corridor inbetween each water-door with 1 boulder/lightning trap for variation with 2 sideroom each side containing a Horned Reaper, ready to unleash its anger upon its ususpecting foes.)
9. (DK1) Traps, Planning for Such
10. (DK2) Drag and drop function for building rooms/marking tiles.
11. (DK2 ) Combat Pit, and Ghost-Trap (those things scared the shit out of me)
12. (DK1) Secrets, Economy
13. (DK2) Mana, mana was a good addition but i felt it was abit too limited in DK2, like it should be purchaseable with gold, or have a libary research to make the mana generate
quicker.
14. Ingeneral game originality/creativity, and lack of IRL references In-game.

[Disliked]:
1. (DK1) Scavenger Room - It messed multiplayer up.
2. (DK1) Guard-Posts (felt useless and a waste of gold, needed buffs to the guarding
creature)
3. That Tentacles were such a pain in the arse to get but still sucked for a late-game creature.
4. (Orc) You just got way too many of them.
5. Flies/Hellhounds running attracting suicidal battles solo
6. Useless creatures without much of an advantage/use to smaller or easierly attractable creatures in late-game (hellhound, beetle, fly sucked) tentacle was too hard to get but handy for freeze but spiders did the trick easier and better)

This is a nice way to also inform subterrenean what we liked from the DK-series interms of feedback and disliked, as a way for them to determine what to go with and not go with. (optional!)

Dec 10, 2012
was level 16 the one where you start with 2 horned reapers? With a transfer creature I never found that level too hard, I possessed my level 10 guy and rushed straight for their heart.
Yup, I used to do exactly the same. Bring a Dragon or Vampire from the hidden realm (I like my transferred creatures to be able to heal in prolonged battles), take him down to the enemy dungeon heart, drop imps in to grab some territory so I can send in the Reapers as well.

thefinn

Bloodling
Backer
Dec 30, 2012
DK1 and 2:
1 Replayability was low - needs random map maker (I'm sure that's already being done).
2 Spells were kind of boring - if sometimes amusing ;)
3 Creatures interacted with things, but not enough things - perhaps the dungeon just needed more things in it.
4 Needed more trap types.
5 More settings for the creatures - AI needed work and add in a user menu to tell the creature - do this, but don't do that, but you can do this other thing here - this just adds in a level of detail that keep people engrossed in their dungeon dwellers.
6 Not enough TYPES of creature.

You almost need something that's a bit of a cross between the sims and DK1/2/Evil Genius.

Robofish

Necromancer
Founder
Dec 1, 2012
Surrey, laughing at how rubbish Sussex is.
DK1 and 2:
1 Replayability was low - needs random map maker (I'm sure that's already being done).
Seriously? I agree a random map maker would be awesome, but I honestly don't think I can count the number of time I played through those games!

As for the other points I think that you are right in so far as those are things that could have made the game better like having more traps and creatures, but I don't think the games were particularly weak in any of those areas as you suggest; the exception being the idea you would be able to set creature behavior. Creature behavior being what it was and you having little control was actually a large part of what made dungeon keeper a great game. You were controlling individuals who were happy to turn against you the moment they didn't get things the way they wanted them, not mindless soldiers awaiting your order.

thefinn

Bloodling
Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Seriously? I agree a random map maker would be awesome, but I honestly don't think I can count the number of time I played through those games!
Yeah, for me it was much like re-reading a book, unless there is some way to make the game fresh each time you start it - then the end is always going to be fairly predictable.

Dec 10, 2012
Random Maps Would be Really Awesome. No need for extended campaign then.
Both would be grand! A decent length campaign, combined with a map creator/skirmish mode. I would particularly love a Skirmish mode. If DK1 had a skirmish mode, I'd probably have played it constantly since 97!

Lord of Riva

The Lord
Founder
Dec 29, 2012
If DK1 had a skirmish mode, I'd probably have played it constantly since 97!
(or any good, working multiplayer ... <.<)

what about the overworld map? (no not a again overworld gameplay) i liked the stile of DK 1 where the Map changed after playing the levels and the extremely nice comments before and after the level

Themperror

Oculus
Backer
Dec 31, 2012
DK1 HAS a skirmish mode.. Just add -1player to the launch commands on the shortcut.. also Multiplayer is decently working now with KeeperFX (still has a few bugs though, but I already played games with 3 other people and it was fun :p)

Deagle275

Blood Imp
Backer
Dec 8, 2012
DK1 HAS a skirmish mode.. Just add -1player to the launch commands on the shortcut.. also Multiplayer is decently working now with KeeperFX (still has a few bugs though, but I already played games with 3 other people and it was fun :p)
That makes me wonder .... Will there be a lan/ad hoc multiplayer ?

Jan 2, 2013
-
i basicly liked everything about the old dk1 (dk2 i didnt really like since it limited your playing field and where you could build soo much... i don't like limitations to how i can and wanna create my dungeon layout).
to list it(dk1 only since dk2 was a failure in my eyes, playerble but diffinately the reason dk3 never come along and with good reasons if it followed the downwards spiral of dk2):

1: i loved how you could created big labyrints as you wished in dk1.
2: loved how the creatures seemed to have their own life and being independent on their own but still you had the last say if you wanted them to do something THEY HAD TOO but it could make them angry and at some point they would be so pissed off they could fight each other or simply leave the dungeon etc. this was awesome
3: loved the endless gold depots together with the real once.
4: from dk2 one of the only improvement was that imps lvled by working not by fighting.
5: the ability in dk1 to posses minions and suddenly make them SUPER powerfull compared to when they where just themselves (this was awesome, and it gave a good feeling of possessing stuff, which in dk2 was totally destroyed)
6: the different building and setups which attracted different creatures to your dungeon depending on how many you had of them.
7: the DARK and EVIL feeling you got in the game in dk1 (dk2 again fcked this up and made it cartoonish and just .. well kinda boring to look at, the dungeons didnt feel evil, darkish and scaring at all, it felt like something designed by a 6year old trying to be scary..)
8: the difference in rooms and how you could use them, especially prison and torture rooms i found very fun and nice to use.
9: the mistress. loved that thing. just seemed soooo evil and succubus like :p
10: STATS!! i loved how you could check the stats of your creatures in dk1, they felt alive and as if each one of them had their own type of persona becouse of this (or it helped towards it greatly)

what need improvement in a new game:
much better AI, the ai wasnt very good in dk1 due to the age of it, needs a lot better ai, better use of their abilities, more personallity and more individuality of the creatures, smarter decision making by them as well.

endless maps: well almost endless maps, i found in dk1 that i got myself to this AWESOME stage of a gigantic dungeon and then the game ended and i hardly got to enjoy how epic it had become.

better graphics and animation: this is one of the hard once since it really means the world in a game where your basicly observing individual creatures and their "lives" that everything looks really good and they got their own stuff going on etc.
the old dk1 was amazing in this aspect for its type of game and its time :) dk2 again failed HARD on that front..

limitation to amount of creatures you could have (the limitations to how many creatures could come could in some rare cases be annoying, but mostly you didnt notice them. but they should be more depending on sieze of the dungeon then anything else)

too few maps. as some one else mentioned need randomizing maps etc.

balance between some creatures could be alot better you generally tended to mass like 1-2type and then just use those becouse they grosely outdid everything, properly also becouse of the ai being so bad :p

more evil, dark, and grim feeling, and some gore as well. it needs an update in the feeling of being "evil" and "grim" since even though dk1 made it awesome for its time we are living in a new age where it takes ALOT more to make something feel really evil and scary.

more camera options, in style of SUPCOM1, which have the best rts type camera control scheme i have ever seen (zoom too far out and you get an easy to control map with all info easily understood. zoom fully in and you can see the smallest details on the ground.)

that was all of the top of my head :) properly more which i will add if it comes to mind ^^

RMJ

Priestess
Jan 3, 2013
Denmark
The only real thing i disliked in Dungeon Keeper games are bugs, like the stupid retarded AI. was just playing DK2 today and it came back already, im playing and i apperently discover a poison trap okay. then my imps one after one keep marching into that trap. until i in less than 30sec goes from 25 imp to 5. God damn that AI is just brain dead.

Cant wait to play WFTO with proper ai that actually thinks!. :D

Well then there is that ALARM trap noise, omfg its so bad so annoying, but again i guess thats the purpose, for the player to pay attention, but damn when you attack enemy alarm trap, there isnt even any reason why i should hear that noise more than once, and it just keeps going and going and going lol.

Top Bottom