• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Notice the new look? We've updated to a new version of Xenforo, please read our latest post.

What's The Best RTS/Base Building/Tower Defence Game You Have Ever Played?

Jared

Blood Imp
Nov 23, 2011
Gold Coast Australia
Firstly I'm bored so that's why I typed this list feel free to type up your own in response ;):D anyway I was just curious as to what you guys being fellow Dungeon Keeper enthusiasts found to be your most enjoyable experience's in RTS/Base Building/Tower Defense type of gaming that you have ever played?

Best RTS / tower defense / base building, games I've played in descending order of awesomeness

Dungeon Keeper 2

Populous The Beginning

Age of Empires 2 Age of Kings

Men of war

Age of Empires <--- First RTS game I ever played & the first one I was OCD with!:D From then on I knew I was destined to be a nerd:)

Medieval 2 Total War

Rome Total War

War Hammer 40k Dawn of War: Dark Crusade

Mount&Blade Warband <---- Yes I know it's classed as being more of an RPG but it has alot of RTS elements to:p

Stronghold Crusader

Stronghold

Evil Genius

Company of Heroes Opposing Fronts

Company of Heroes

Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun

Command & Conquer Red Alert

Black & White

War Hammer 40k Dawn of War

Starcraft

War Hammer 40k Dawn of War: Soul Storm

War Hammer 40k Dawn of War: Winter Assault

Dungeon Keeper

Black & White 2

Homeworld 2

Homeworld

Star Wars Force Commander

Empire Total War

Command & Conquer

Starcraft Brood war

From here down I stopped having fun these games kinda sucked for different reasons ::

Command & Conquer 3 <---- Pretty Graphics can't hide the fact this game sucks! I miss you Westwood Studios!:(

War Craft 3 <--- Meh

Red Alert 2 <--- WTF happened to the awesome Red Alert game!?

Supreme Commander <----- Not my style

Dawn of war 2 <----- They had something beautiful and the f*cked it up man!

Stronghold 2 <---- Broken piece of dog sh*t!

Spore <---- This was childish rubbish promised so much delivered so little :mad::confused: Right now it's currently my drink coaster :p

Prison Tycoon <---- I can't believe someone actually spent the time and money making this piece of crap and then wasted 30 minutes of my life that I will never get back trying their piece of crap game! Currently at the bottom of a land fill site broken into a 1000 little piece', may this horror never be unearthed again.

So how would you rank the best to worst RTS style games that you have played?

Nov 10, 2011
The Netherlands
In descending order of awesomeness:

Total Annihilation

<-- large gap -->

Dungeon Keeper

Supreme Commander

Age of Mythology

Age of Empires 3

The rest

<-- another large gap -->

Dungeon Keeper 2

MeinCookie

Dwarven Worker
Nov 15, 2011
I just clump my favorite RTS in one bundle depending on the era/style I feel like. Amongst them however are:

Age of Empires (1 or 2)
Age of Mythology
Company of Heroes (and expansions)
Dungeon Keeper 2
Empires: Dawn of the Modern World
Rise of Nations (Great city and border mechanics)
Star Wars: Empire at War (Fun space combat, though ground sucked.)
Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
Star Trek: Armada (SPACE!!)
Stronghold: Legends (If only because its mechanics were more polished and considered than in 2)

Tower Defense?

The only one I really took a shine to was Defense Grid: The Awakening, evn with its odd lack of cursor.

Simburgur

Managing Director
Dev Team
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
DK2 had its merits! Don't hate :p

Excluding DK, I've always been a huge C&C fan (RA2/YR sticks out, RA3 was pretty good too). Warcraft 3 was also amazing, as is Starcraft 2. Others include Age of Mythology, the Caesar/Pharaoh/Zeus series, Black & White 1/2, Evil Genius, Populous, Plants vs Zombies, and probably more I can't remember.

I also adore Civ, but that's not exactly realtime.

Kyle

Dwarven Worker
Nov 9, 2011
Scotland
I'm on moth's page really, wasn't a fan of DKII. My favorite RTS's

Dunegon Keeper 1
Age of empires 2
Empire earth
Command & Conquer: Generals (My favorite C&C game)
Stronghold Crusader
Knights & Merchants
Populous

Jared

Blood Imp
Nov 23, 2011
Gold Coast Australia
I'm on moth's page really, wasn't a fan of DKII. My favorite RTS's

Dunegon Keeper 1
Age of empires 2
Empire earth
Command & Conquer: Generals (My favorite C&C game)
Stronghold Crusader
Knights & Merchants
Populous
Just out of curiosity would you and the WFTO team ever consider trying to revive / remake the Populous games? I mean once your done making WFTO?

I imagine if you played Populous before you can apreciate how awesome that game was and how there really isn't anything like it on the market.

On a further note why the hell has the whole God game genre died out I mean once upon a time God games like Populous & Dungeon Keeper were huge now they have become some kind of a rare beast that is only seen as often as the Loch Ness Monster whats going on? do people not like God games anymore?

I mean all we really get flooded with nowadays on the gaming market is dumbed down bullshit shooters and crap like Dragon age 2 dumbing down the RPG genre its disgusting I feel like were having to cater to every single retard and infant that can't figure basic elements of a games out so derp de derp lets make it super simple so even Forest Gump gets it, thats why the future of gaming is in europe and not the USA that's where gems like the Witcher come from they know how to do it old school and still make it fun for today's crowd.

Personally I think the fact that gaming is becoming more and more mainstream is whats resulting in such a huge amount of ugly messy unimaginative rubbish flooding the store shelves just to appeal to my mom, sister every tom,dick and harry and that miserable little bastard in England that swears at me every time I kill him through his mic when playing Call of Duty Modern Warefare <----- f*cktards like that did not exist in gaming 10 years ago (well not to the extent they do nowadays anyway).

There was a time when computer games were just for Nerds and societies outcasts now old people , punkass kids , punkass adults , my mom and my sister play games ....... its just not cool anymore :(:p

Sorry for rant that'ss not directed at you just some stuff I had to let off my chest:D :oops:

Hugo

Concept Artist
Dev Team
Nov 14, 2011
Spain
Dungeon Keeper 1
Red alert 1 and 2
Starcraft 2
Age of empires 2 and 3
Dungeon Keeper 2

Theme park and Simcity count? Because they were great!

Also, what about turn-based strategy? Civilization 2,3 and 4 are awesome.

MeinCookie

Dwarven Worker
Nov 15, 2011
DK2 had its merits! Don't hate :p

Excluding DK, I've always been a huge C&C fan (RA2/YR sticks out, RA3 was pretty good too). Warcraft 3 was also amazing, as is Starcraft 2. Others include Age of Mythology, the Caesar/Pharaoh/Zeus series, Black & White 1/2, Evil Genius, Populous, Plants vs Zombies, and probably more I can't remember.

I also adore Civ, but that's not exactly realtime.
Ohh... forgot about those. Add Caesar III and Plants vs Zombies to my list.

TheOddOne

Spirit
Founder
Nov 18, 2011
Awesome -> Less so

God Tier:
- DK1 / DK2 (they where different, each awesome)
- Startopia (I still replay this yearly)

High Tier:
- Evil Genius
- Warcraft 3 Custom Map - Tree Tag (I think it counts?)
- Any number of Warcraft 3 or Starcraft 2 tower defense custom maps

Medium Tier:
- Plants vs Zombies
- Black & White 1/CR/2 (Fun with a VR glove...)
- C&C 3
- RA 2/YR

Tolerable:
-Stronghold 1/2

Abominations:
- Dungeons (Held appeal for... 2 levels)
- Stronghold 3 (barely playable now)

Currently in great debate over StarRuler... its buggy beyond all reason... but is an awesome indie game with continuous updates.

MeinCookie

Dwarven Worker
Nov 15, 2011
I have been meaning to pick up Stronghold 3, but I guess not? I heard that they had patched it, but i guess that didn't fix things.

Jared

Blood Imp
Nov 23, 2011
Gold Coast Australia
I have been meaning to pick up Stronghold 3, but I guess not? I heard that they had patched it, but i guess that didn't fix things.
Don't touch it its posion if you play that game your face will melt off Indiana Jones style dude...:eek:

& is it just me or is Lionhead studios progressively making worse and worse games? Black&White 2 was really bad compared to Black&White 1 and what in the name of gaming gods did they do to Fable 3?! They really screwed the pooch on that one. :confused:

amcoops

Priestess
Founder
Dec 9, 2011
North Devon, England
My favourites have all be mentioned so instead of posting them I'll post some I've enjoyed that haven't been mentioned (unless I missed it)...

The Settlers: Rise of an Empire - Build a town basically, harvest resources and build shops to sell stuff to your workers, train soldiers.
Homeworld 2 - Set in space, build facilities on your mothership to build other ships and attack the enemy's mothership.
Earth 2160 - Pick between four factions (humans, robots, Aliens and LC (don't know what they are)) and build up a base to defeat the enemy base, quite a basic RTS.

All old games, you could pick them up cheap now.

Nope, it wasn't. DK2 sucked.
I can't help but notice that you're part of the WFTO team, and to say DK2 sucked scares me a little. I loved both DKs and I would be hard pushed to choose between them.

Nov 10, 2011
The Netherlands
I can't help but notice that you're part of the WFTO team, and to say DK2 sucked scares me a little. I loved both DKs and I would be hard pushed to choose between them.
I only dislike DK2 on a personal level, not a professional one. When WftO is involved, DK1 and DK2 are completely neutral to me.

You can dislike a game without being blinded to it's merits. It didn't do everything wrong, it introduced some necessary changes (mana and drop-stunning for example) but the game as a unit was kind of bad.

Jared

Blood Imp
Nov 23, 2011
Gold Coast Australia
You can dislike a game without being blinded to it's merits. It didn't do everything wrong, it introduced some necessary changes (mana and drop-stunning for example) but the game as a unit was kind of bad.
Really? DK2 is what hooked me on the DK franchise hell I still play it today and I got it when is was first released back in 1999!

What exactly did you guys find wrong with it?:confused:

Top Bottom