• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Notice the new look? We've updated to a new version of Xenforo, please read our latest post.

What's The Best RTS/Base Building/Tower Defence Game You Have Ever Played?

Dagins

Blood Imp
Feb 29, 2012
good to hear, hate to hear people throwing good money away.... and worse not being able to play a fantastic game like Dungeon Keeper. Personally I like windows 7 as long as i'm not trying to an older windows game. they didn't do a very good job with the compatiblity :( however

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand
This post violates rule 9
Don't touch it its posion if you play that game your face will melt off Indiana Jones style dude...:eek:

& is it just me or is Lionhead studios progressively making worse and worse games? Black&White 2 was really bad compared to Black&White 1 and what in the name of gaming gods did they do to Fable 3?! They really screwed the pooch on that one. :confused:
The man who was involved with Dungeon Keeper, the man who was missing in Dungeon Keeper 2's creation moved on from Bullfrog (shortly before it was EA GAME'erised) to create Lionhead Studios, his first main project from there was Black & White.. Im not sure where he is now, but last I looked im pretty sure Lionhead Studios was dealing with the devil (EA GAMES). I could be wrong will edit and confirm or delete this :p

EA GAMES is the plague for gaming next to annoying over sensitive mothers complaining about to much violence...

I feel sorry for Australians.. I mean all your stuff is soooo sensored, no blood, no gore, no sexual references, no nothing.. If it gets a R18 rating it generally doesnt even exist in Australia.. Most of this over senored stuff is filtered on through to New Zealand .. Thank god for EBAY and STEAM !

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand
A few opinions of some old favorites :)
  • Warcraft - Orcs and Humans <-- Great game, old and annoying control system, you could only select 4 units at a time and had to use the toolbar to command units (first game I ever played)
  • Warcraft 2 - The Tides of Darkness <-- Greater game, improved graphics and control system, new annoying team balancing took to much glory from ranged units so made this game mostly air, ocean and melee land.
  • Warcraft 3 - The Frozen Throne <-- debatable graphics, improved story and gameplay, retarded unit balancing, way to many different controls and buttons to micro manage. In my opinion the strategy should be in the units and not the spells and other jazz the units have.. Becomes a bit to much in my opinion..
  • Starcraft - Brood War <-- Extremely addictive online, the story mode in this expansion dragged on a bit much, the missions just started tipping the table more and more in their favor making it rather boring to build up and overcome..
  • Starcraft 2 <-- Was my obsession before it was released, I think they tried to hard to add new things to the game and unfortunately in my opinion lost the plot a bit, still a great game though! Like Warcraft 3, it had to many buttons and controls to micro manage.
  • Total Annihilation <-- I never greatly understood this game, the story mode was extremely, dunno uninteresting when compared to playing Starcraft, big screen of text and maybe a few words from the commander then a really random and annoying array of squeaky and electronic sound effects during gameplay.
At around this time Starcraft and Total Annihilation were considered the best RTS games ever created according to reviews and other things I read. A lot of people might argue they still are ?
  • Command and Conquer <-- Absolutely brilliant game, absolutely loved the industrial/rock sound track Frank made for this game, the graphics were brilliant at its time, Brotherhood of Nod campaign lacked in my opinion though. I always played GDI.
  • Red Alert <-- Westwood's next great installment, I enjoyed this game but always liked the original story more.
  • C&C - Tiberian Sun <-- Personally found Westwood's games went downhill from here as EA GAMES become more and more involved with their games. The story mode in this game was absolutely terrible !!! I remember modifying the games rules to finish this game, good times.. good times.. :p (infantry with lasers and tanks with rocket machine guns) hehehehe...
  • Dune 2 <-- Great we classic ! One of the first heavily played RTS games to have actual digital sound unit responses and sound effects.
  • Emperor - Battle For Dune <-- Really enjoyed this game, extremely boring same old thing over and over again story mode though, the game was in 3d graphics though which was fairly new and exciting for games at the time of this ones release, which made it hard to run properly and made combat scenes much more interesting to watch.
The Command and Conquer games become more graphical and more humorous and the sound track become all quick passed and lost the plot as time went on.. Red Alert 2 was the last game from this series I actually bothered finishing, its expansion Yuri's Revenge was really boring..
  • Age of Empires <-- Brilliant piece of work this game, the music and gameplay were matched perfectly, loved this game, never understood for years though (I was really young) that in order to win you have to progress through the ages as quickly as possible though lol.
  • Age of Kings <-- This games music did not have the same excitement the first original game brought about, the units become more challenging to use and the release of walls with gates was a OH MY GOD WOW effect to the way I liked to play, I remember making small mazes from walls leading into my base to trap enemy units entering my village in the first Age of Empires..
  • Age of Mythology <-- This game never excited me much although greek mythology has always been a fascination of mine
  • Age of Empires 3 <-- Amazingly detailed graphics and I loved the introduction of physics to the game, truly amazing battles to watch. The game was extremely boring though !! It lacked excitment !!!!
  • Company of Heroes <-- Another eye opener, loved the way units would scram for cover and how explosions made trees fall over.. Cool game !! My only complaint is the computers AI is way to brutal, very hard to learn how to play this game in multiplayer and skirmishes because of this!
Will add more as I remember them..

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand
This post violates rule 2
Thx dude but yeah I managed to get it to run all good!;) Damn windows 7 thinks everything is trying to kill it Microshit really couldn't have done a better job at making a more unfriendly operating system. Apple may not be great for gaming but at least it's stable and user friendly.

The good thing is that when Robots rise up and try to take over the world we'll win because no doubt their programing will be Windows 10 which will fail miserably & the human force's will be able to counter attack while all the Robots stand about frozen from program failure having major system crashes and seizures, most of their heads will randomly explode from poor faulty programing as the other Robots left will have their cybernetic brains think the other cybernetic brain cells are a foreign invader and so attack each other, thus resulting in a humorous death scene where the Robots bash their own heads in with their metal fists.+ The robots will probably have EA markings on their metal bodies I say that because anything bad that ever happens EA always has a hand in it, their like the freaking cyber Illuminati

Of course this is just a little theory of mine:cool:
Windows 7 is an extremely well set up operating system if you want a "actual" personalised computer.
If you want a boring console like spinning wheel of death mess which you cant do jack all to or with which will in time (a long time if your lucky) stuff itself up and will cost you shit tones to fix (never mind how insanely over priced the bloody things are to begin with) MAC is your friend..

The so called "windows 7 thinks everything is trying to destroy it is a security feature called UAC" its a program that detects all process's that will change something on your system (virus or not) and will warn you about it by prompting you with its details and ask you to allow it or stop it.
UAC can easily be turned off, its advised not to though.
Anything else it is warning you about is most likely due to a fault that you or a program may have caused on its registry database or something you havnt yet taken action on. UPDATES are important, they fix bugs in the operating system, help protect it from virus's and in lots of ways make it run far more efficiently.
Windows Vista had UAC but it was in I guess you could say its BETA stages and was not yet completed as was the entire operating system for that mater.. Windows Vista was a very big fail !

Windows computers are only as smart as their users, if they slow down its not the operating systems fault and its certainly not the computers fault, the operating system was running perfectly before you started using it! One key thing people forget these days is that computers are not stupid ! WE are stupid, if the computer does something incorrectly its because we the user have stuffed it up OR !! the user who wrote the program your trying to run has stuffed up somewhere. Computers only do as they are told to do.

Now dont start on me YOU HAVE NEVER USED A MAC HAVE YOU, well guess what im fricken using one right now and have used heaps more of them before this one. Im a computer graphic designer/mac operator !!! I am the kind of person who are supposed to love these machines but facts are facts, my Windows computer at home rapes this Mac 10 times over turns it over and rapes it again when it comes to everything and anything this MAC is doing.

Oh if this is about Dungeon Keeper and other games that are over 15 or so years old not running properly on Windows 7, its because Microsoft updated big time, your classic Windows 95 and 98 were built on a program a univercity student created called DOS :p... Windows XP was the first successful operating system to run with out completely relying on DOS. This is the reason why older software wont run properly on Windows 7 because it is beyond it. DOS is older and in a lot of ways flawed now, virus's and hackers used to take advantage of these flaws and Microsoft was more or less limited to what they could do about it due to these flaws. If your wondering what DOS is? DOS is similar to command prompt, to open command prompt click your start button go to where it says RUN and type CMD in it and hit enter, up will pop a black box with white text in it, enjoy how Windows more or less started like :p

To over come this problem you can get free programs which run an enhanced DOS in a window on your desktop. Popular games generally also have patches which will overcome these problems as well.

Jared

Blood Imp
Nov 23, 2011
Gold Coast Australia
The man who was involved with Dungeon Keeper, the man who was missing in Dungeon Keeper 2's creation moved on from Bullfrog (shortly before it was EA GAME'erised) to create Lionhead Studios, his first main project from there was Black & White.. Im not sure where he is now, but last I looked im pretty sure Lionhead Studios was dealing with the devil (EA GAMES). I could be wrong will edit and confirm or delete this :p

EA GAMES is the plague for gaming next to annoying over sensitive mothers complaining about to much violence...

I feel sorry for Australians.. I mean all your stuff is soooo sensored, no blood, no gore, no sexual references, no nothing.. If it gets a R18 rating it generally doesnt even exist in Australia.. Most of this over senored stuff is filtered on through to New Zealand .. Thank god for EBAY and STEAM !
That's how I circumvent our BS rules mate I just order stuff from overseas, because when I play a game I want to play the full uncensored version! All the rules do here is hurt are economy ....... idiots.:rolleyes:

amcoops

Priestess
Founder
Dec 9, 2011
North Devon, England
...ok then...:D

1. Age of Empires II (and it's expansion)
2. Dungeon Keeper 2
3. Dungeon Keeper
4. Age of Mythology (and it's expansion)
5. Red Alert 2
6. Age of Empires 3 (and it's expansions)
7. Age of Empires (and it's expansion)
8. C&C Generals (especially it's expansion)
9. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War (definitely not it's expansions)
10. The Settlers: Rise of an Empire

Jared

Blood Imp
Nov 23, 2011
Gold Coast Australia

2. Dungeon Keeper 2
3. Dungeon Keeper
5. Red Alert 2
That's a pretty respectable list I've played and loved all those games except for settlers never played that one :p

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand

2. Dungeon Keeper 2
3. Dungeon Keeper
5. Red Alert 2
Didnt like the Necrons ? Necrons are awesome :O !

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand
Yup especially when 1 squad of unupgraded warriors (?) is able to hold CM and SM player for enought time for ally IG player to rush 5-8 sqads of infantry and clear the map with 1 push :/
haha.. They were rather overpowered in a lot of ways, I found orcs were good against them, necrons rely on ranged attacks, if you could outrange them or get in close to them they were usually pooped, they are not to flash in melee combat, I found orks with their strength dealt quite a lot of damage to small squads if they could get in close.

I make necrons for the tabletop game, my army isnt massive at the moment, but I thought I painted them pretty sweetly :p Ive got a HQ (Lord) and 2 sets of warriors with scarab swarms :)
The models are expensive as heck lol

OMG your making me want to install and play it again, I have a SWTOR (Star Wars the Old Republic MMORPG) subscription though :(

amcoops

Priestess
Founder
Dec 9, 2011
North Devon, England
Didnt like the Necrons ? Necrons are awesome :O !
It's been a while now since I lasted played it so forgive me if my memory fails to serve me well; but I seem to remember one (if not all) of the updates really dumbed down the game, rendering research obsolete. To put it another way, when starting a skirmish against the computer, it begins with all the research (that was available to you at a cost of resources) already researched.

Nov 14, 2011
Delaware
My favorite RTS? Hmm....

Brutal Legend
I just bought this game and LOVE it. It's like Sacrifice, but heavy metal. The factions rock and play uniquely, the unit design is some of the best I've seen, it's funny, has a killer soundtrack, and has a healthy mix of action and strategy for hours of fun. While not strictly RTS, if you like strategy and/or metal music, I would highly recommend it.

amcoops

Priestess
Founder
Dec 9, 2011
North Devon, England
This thread has made me install and play Dawn of War again. I've been looking into Dawn of War 2 as well, are there no buildings in this game?

That's a pretty respectable list I've played and loved all those games except for settlers never played that one :p
I would definitely recommend it :D, played a demo a while back now and liked it so I picked the game up on Ebay for a bargain. There's not a lot to the combat, pretty straight forward, it's building a town that had be hooked. :) Followed one of my lumberjacks around as he went to drop off some wood, picked up some food from one of my shops and headed back to work. Everyone in the town lives their own little life, they buy clothes, food, cleaning equipment and go to the tavern for a drink, they do their job as well of course. :D

Jared

Blood Imp
Nov 23, 2011
Gold Coast Australia
This thread has made me install and play Dawn of War again. I've been looking into Dawn of War 2 as well, are there no buildings in this game?

I would definitely recommend it :D, played a demo a while back now and liked it so I picked the game up on Ebay for a bargain. There's not a lot to the combat, pretty straight forward, it's building a town that had be hooked. :) Followed one of my lumberjacks around as he went to drop off some wood, picked up some food from one of my shops and headed back to work. Everyone in the town lives their own little life, they buy clothes, food, cleaning equipment and go to the tavern for a drink, they do their job as well of course. :D
DOW 2 was a load of crap they completely ruined the franchise going all RPG style dammit I wanna build a base and have big armies! Bring back DOW the way it used to be! :cool:

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand
DOW 2 was a load of crap they completely ruined the franchise going all RPG style dammit I wanna build a base and have big armies! Bring back DOW the way it used to be! :cool:
They probably have customised maps or something surely for that ? Id research a community project for it.

I found a great project the other day for StarCraft 2. They have recreated all the maps and units from Brood War for StarCraft 2, its really cool, they have a clever balance of StarCraft unit rules and StarCraft 2 gameplay rules etc making it old school (which is great to start with as the new units are annoying in my opinion) but still feel new and of course its StarCraft 2 so it looks new !
If you have StarCraft 2 create a custom game and map search for "SC2BW" you should find a majority of them, to find players who play it as well head to chat channel "SC2BW" .. Its NOT a map its an actual mod which is currently in its late beta stages, it used to be a mod download but they have managed to cleverly add the mod information (sounds effects, units etc) into the map file itself (so when you download the map off of battle.net your actually downloading the mod at the same time).. :) Hope to see you there :p
To see the project itself head here http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=145316

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand
Something I thought might interest some of you, Warhammer 40K 2 has mod's ... So if you dig deep enough you might be able to find a base building project for this game, heres a few interesting mods I found well looking about for answers on the hole role playing change for Dawn of War2
http://www.fileplanet.com/198340/190000/fileinfo/Warhammer-40k:-Dawn-of-War-2---Captains-Mod.
http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/mods/warhammer40000dawnofwarii/mod.html
Surprisingly most players are sayings not having to build a base and carry on is an improvement ? But are pleading on the Dawn of War community site for the ability to build barriers and defences.

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand
I think this might be your answer Jared, this mod might not allow you to build bases again but is attempting to create the original tabletop battlestyle,
Quoted on website: "in short, if you like bloody, messy epic large-scaled battles, then this mod is for you."
http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?249646-Dawn-of-War-2-Warhammer-40.000-(-Bloody-amp-Epic-)-v3.0-released!

Top Bottom