• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Your favorite and least favorite creatures thus far.

Baelrog

Cultist
WFTO Backer
Jan 14, 2013
It might be interesting to see what creatures people really like and dislike in the game. So, pick a creature that you think is totally awesome, and another that you think doesn't fit and should be redesigned. Please give a short reasoning for each choice.

+1: I really like the Oculus: It looks like a corrupted being from another plane and makes me think of Lovecraft mythos, which is creepy as hell and just awesome.
-1: I really dislike the Chunder: It looks like a fat colorful forest troll. It doesn't look scary nor evil, just ugly. Don't see why this would come through an underworldly portal.

Baelrog

Cultist
WFTO Backer
Jan 14, 2013
Dislike: Vampire, show yourself you fiend! I am dying to see the reveal on this unit, the suspense is killing me!
If there will be one, I hope it will aesthetically resemble the DK1 vampire, those had an awesome design. IMO one of the best I have seen in any game.
Although you guys are doing a great job on the game (especially the strategic aspects you are implementing), I'm getting the impression that you guys have a different idea about what is suppose to come through the portal than a lot of the old DK players (this is based on what I have read, and discussions I had with friends who I played DKI&II with). I see the portal as something that connects to the lower planes/underworld/hell, and thus I expect to see aberrations, demons and devils come through, evil creatures (like the Oculus, Ember Demon, Bafu, Succubus). However, creatures like the Chunder, Gargoyle (cool mechanic though), Skarrg and Witch Dokter (aren't these guys suppose to be in the forests?) seem misplaced coming from such. They feel like neutral creatures to me. I really hope to see more truly evil creatures, to go in a dark creepy dungeon.

Just my 2 cents.

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
Like: N/A
Dislike: N/A

I haven't seen them all yet, so I'm withholding judgement for now.
But they're better than DK's overly silly-by-design creatures, that's for sure.
Thanks! But out of what you've seen so far, which do you like/dislike most? I'm interested to hear it, would like a look at the general opinion.

I'm getting the impression that you guys have a different idea about what is suppose to come through the portal than a lot of the old DK players
Definitely. This is why I'm not touching stuff like this with a 10 feet pole:
Dislike: Vampire, show yourself you fiend! I am dying to see the reveal on this unit, the suspense is killing me!
The opinions are so far apart and some people are so biased that I can already promise you that half of you are going to hate the Vampire's graphics, no matter what we do. If it's all monstrous people will complain it's too monstrous. If it's too humanoid, people will complain it's not monstrous enough. All I can say on this subject, shamefully, is "don't get your hopes up". Not because I don't think our Vampire is bad, but because there's so many different types of vampires that so many people seem to like or dislike that it's not unlikely you'll hate it. The best we can aim for is to put in a variety of unit types that the majority of people will like most of. I will say though: WFTO is not Dungeon Keeper. What 'comes through the portal gateway' is determined by the lore, ergo by extension by James. He'll make sure it makes sense.

That said, none of my four favourite creatures have been revealed so far. I may be biased about those myself though, because three of those four were creature types I originally came up with (most other creatures were planned before I joined the team). One of them is a hero unit, and the names of two others start with a 'B' - I'll give you that.

Please, though, keep posting. I can't make any promises, but a thread like this does help us gauge quite easily what people like and dislike. If it turns out every single one of you dislikes one specific thing about one specific unit, we may put him back on the table for some editing or even a remake.

Evi

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Nov 14, 2011
Thanks! But out of what you've seen so far, which do you like/dislike most? I'm interested to hear it, would like a look at the general opinion.
Since Concept Arts doesn't really transfer into 3d models as well as I would like (Ala, Cultist with some weight apparently fasted before joining... =P), I'm still unsure.

But the Skarg, due to my love of inhuman monsters/insects, is probably my favorite at the moment. Though I would like them to have more of a shape to a Spider, mostly the abdomen to the back, since though I love the overall design, the back-end of it just seems to be... I wouldn't say rushed, but to me it doesn't seem quite right, almost like there used to be another part to the Skarg before it was cut off.

I look at it sideways and it seems it should of looked like this, personally.
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/7121/ih3l.png

I dunno, it might just be me though.

As for most disliked... Hard to say, I like all of the current WftO creatures at the moment, though the skinny cultist is abit... Eye-catching.

Hoky

Cultist
Sep 26, 2013
Pls stay serious with this thread. I really like the idea of this, so disliked units can be redesigned.

Like: My favorite so far is the skarg, becaus it reminds me of the zerg. Especially the Zergling and i'm a fan of such biological races.
Dislike: I have to agree to Baelrog and dislike the chunder. While the basic idea is great it looks a little bit strange with its tongue out and the a little bit stupid looking face... Wasn't there a redesign already of this creature? Maybe i'm wrong but if thats the case i think to remember that i liked the old design more...
No offense but to compare to DK, the Bile Demon looked ugly but at the same time not stupid.

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
I'm getting the impression that you guys have a different idea about what is suppose to come through the portal than a lot of the old DK players (this is based on what I have read, and discussions I had with friends who I played DKI&II with).
You know, if one were to exaggerate that statement, one could read "Baww, the creatures don't look like poorly copied Dk I/II Monsters".

Mine:

Favorite: Succubus - a perfect mix of attractive and revolting features.

Least favorite: Gargoyle. Looks far to wiry for a beast made of massive stone.

Baelrog

Cultist
WFTO Backer
Jan 14, 2013
You know, if one were to exaggerate that statement, one could read "Baww, the creatures don't look like poorly copied Dk I/II Monsters".
Just to be clear, that is certainly not what I meant. They should develop new stuff. I just would like them to create a similar atmosphere using new content.

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
Beards and ...Boobs?
While some beards may rightly be called 'creatures', I'm not sure the same holds for boobs in general. Good guess, though.

Least favorite: Gargoyle. Looks far to wiry for a beast made of massive stone.
I should mention this as it seems to be popping up more often already: the Gargoyle's the messiest creature that's been around so far. This is also why it's been disabled in the Tutorial and Rhaskos missions. It went without animations and lighting for a while, and only recently part of the lighting got fixed, I think. The final result will feel a lot better. The same holds true for some other units (the Oculus comes to mind), but specifically so for our stoned friend here.

Haze

Priestess
Mar 31, 2013
Moscow, Russia
-1: I really dislike the Chunder: It looks like a fat colorful forest troll. It doesn't look scary nor evil, just ugly. Don't see why this would come through an underworldly portal.
Skarg looks a bit boring for me (enough spider-scorpions in games, there are much better suggestions such as Bloodspore), but Chunder is the worst. Explanations can be found in according thread.

What can be interesting? Oculus seems really original (non-standard design), Ember Demon may be my favorite (depends on 3D model + sounds), Witch doctor also (regeneration for my units!)... Cultist is cute, but ranged units are not very useful. Gargoyle also depends on game mechanics.

Something dark, stylish and a bit funny, but not stupid or ugly (like Chunder) - thus, Necromancer wins. Maybe animated Succubus will look and sound more elegant, but we'll see.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Like: well i might like the necro most but since you cant really say since his model aint ingame yet ill pick chunder.
yeah he looks weird etc but love his attacks etc.
Dislike: From every model i saw so far i dislike the augre most atm. But that may be because his model wasnt working.

Haze

Priestess
Mar 31, 2013
Moscow, Russia
Talking about wfto heroes, my criteria remains the same - dark, realistic, useful and a bit funny. Thus, huntress wins, and about humor - designers could implement anime voice for her like "nyaa, don't torture me, better take me into your harem"

On the contrary, inquisitor looks too grotesque - his head is not even human-like. And he is not dressed situation-wise. Some grim old fart with "beer belly" + sacred armor and gold symbols on him could get a bit more sympathy (as a unit).

Arcanist, Juggernaut, Templar - good as they are.

Last edited:

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
Just to be clear, that is certainly not what I meant. They should develop new stuff. I just would like them to create a similar atmosphere using new content.
Very well then, I suppose I have overreacted. It's just that we have threads where people ask for Horned Reapers/Mistresses/Bile Demons to be implemented into the game every other week.

On a sidenote: What people tend to forget is that the Chunder is not meant to replace the Bile Demon (whose position is presumable taken by the Augre) but rather forms the counterpart to the Trolls. And you really can't say that these guys were overly "dark" or "scary".

Pappy

Cultist
Jan 31, 2013
From the units that are in the beta now my like and dislike are.

Likes: 1. Loving the the pugs! epic and big improvement to the DK food. 2. the units that make traps ( i forgot the name )

Dislikes: 1. the Augre looks out of place, not feeling that one. 2. The mages are fighting more like rogue's in my games (backstab!) then casting some epic fire balls or something.

Top Bottom